Tuesday, August 29, 2017

9888. PICKING SIDES

PICKING SIDES
The beautiful coverlet that you gave me when
I was born, I was told anyway, is still here with
me, threadbare and barren, stitches missing and
in need of heavy repair. I await you here too, in
the boneyard of the slaughterhouse of comfort.
-
'Contagion' is in the one marked 'C'. Same with
coma, and commnication too. I get confused myself,
to tell the truth, between comity and comedy, and
where each should be. Or even what the difference 
is. Some things are too simple to matter.
-
Route One runs down off the spine of Elizabeth.
New Jersey, I mean; not a girl. There's never
been a worse place than that, to me  -  a themeless 
place, without design and bereft of sense. I usually
try to leave it quickly. Jersey Ave., or Route One
again. But the traffic's always thankless and only 
little moves. The whole place is sluggish.
-
That brings me, if I enter that way leaving, into
Roselle Park and/or Roselle. There's a difference,
I'm told, and with pride the locals make it. Roselle
is the classless one, the brooding slum, the big O
in the world of nOthing. Roselle Park  - on its
other hand  -   takes pride  in lawns, and cars, 
and paint. Large issues for a minor, I suppose.
-
I've had friends in either place. Jill and Bill, Ron
and Steve. They all lived apart, and yet the same.
Enthused and grown and happy and strong. I wish
I could see them now, even though this Devil has
horns enough today to take sides. Jill has a dog,
and is a Grandma as well. Bill rides his Harley like
a shadow beyond the service of every doubt. All
things are good if you live. Where? No matter.

No comments: