Sunday, August 20, 2017

9857. RUDIMENTS, pt. 49

RUDIMENTS, pt. 49
Making Cars
I'll be getting back to more of that
motorcycle stuff shortly, because
there's a lot to be said and I have a
lot to say about it and now  -  once
having started  -  I realize this is
probably the right time and place for
more. Understand, I was never any
genius, but compared to some of
those I hung with, my flag flew a
little higher, and that was the divide.
I couldn't bridge the gap, past that
spot, and once I got to that, even the
language fell, and the salty language
too. I just recently told someone that
I often hope no one overhears me
because my talk often gets pretty
lewd. I was (mostly) being facetious,
(you can ask my wife), but what I
was meaning, more or less, was a
throwback to my Biker days when  -
in the normal run of things  -  innuendo,
foul-ness, and lewdness was just the
way it went. It never mattered. Like
today's Confederate flag in a 6th street
window, let it rip and see what it starts.
Consequences be damned, let your
freak-flag fly. Today's people, by
contrast, are mostly dickless eunuchs.
-
You see, my mind was a cloud, or a
series of clouds, each one drifting past
me while some goon was trying to tell
me something else  -  his critique of all
the fake tits that were around us, the
promise of this or that's boobs in the
upcoming wet T-shirt contest, and can
he be one of the judges? (Yes, I had
to put up with that too). Meanwhile,
believe this, my mind would be on
something else entirely : consumed in
thought  -  something I'd read that
morning, an idea that came while I
was clocking along 71 mph on Rt. 9
threading my way (our way) down to
Plain Jane's  -  a biker field usually
paved with beer, music, and, eventually,
enough nudity of the local natives for a
National Geographic special edition
scratch n' sniff. (If you'd never liked the 
Allman Brothers, you'd never go there
It was a Southern-Rock-heavy scene).
I'd always be thinking somewhere else.
Distractedly too.  Like, say, of the Gospel 
 of Matthew, that opening sequence  - 
he goes through the entire lineage of
Joseph, Jesus' father, to show how
everything came out of the correct line
of David's lineage and all that, except
that (Hey! Matthew) the entire idea
here was that Joseph was NOT Jesus'
birth father, and that's what made it all
so awkward. They make a big point of
saying that Jesus' father was God, the
big guy himself, so what would any
of that matter? In fact, there was nothing
of Joseph in Jesus at all so why wouldn't
it have made more sense to just run out
Mary's lineage instead, which mattered?
How'd that flaw get through? Was the
proofreader who missed that one, at least
reprimanded if not fired? What gives?
-
So, you see, I'd be working out these
things, figuring on how to say what and
what to do with the questions and the
context, while some mangy whippoorwill
is going on about his new Harley Leather
shaving pouch for when he trucks to
Sturgis at the end of July. Well. Maybe
they're out there, but I never found one
-  some slob I could talk with, over yet
another biker-beer, about cosmic matters,
the freaking time-space continuum, past
and concurrent lives, the shades of doubt
between moments of certainty, that split
second when you're about to hit 80 mph
while slip-streaming a truck and then
deciding to sneak out and dash between
that piece of shit Chinese Corolla being
driven by some powder-faced Indian
Hindu fanatic and that blue, megaphoned
exhaust crap-heap of an Altima in the
other lane. And then you just do it,
deciding your drunk enough to take
the consequences and beat them. I once
had a guy, (I'll call him Neil) berate me
for such hot-rodding two-wheel antics
because he felt that the others behind me
weren't up to that riding skill level and
yet would follow whatever I did, and I'd,
by that, end up getting someone killed.
Yeah, maybe so, and maybe he was right.
My mother used too call that 'Monkey
see, Monkey do.'
-
Just as in Matthew, when an entire bunch of
really unnecessary information is provided,
way up front in the opening of Chapter 1,
all this biker stuff made me wonder. What were
these guys up to; sometimes anyway. It was all
so opposite of what I cared about  -  gung-ho
flag-waving, patches and stickers everywhere,
allegiances to weird groups of other guys, a
nasty form of what once was called male
chauvinism, always on parade in the guise
of harassing girls, plain and simple and no
more said. I've read two things about the
Biker culture  -  socio-cultural studies and all
that crud. One made the point of saying that
Harley people spend the largest portion of
their income (not 'disposable income, just
'income'  -  which means it comes before
house, home, wife and kids), on their
motorcycles and attire and events. I found
that to be pretty true. And this second one,
a little striking but also pretty true, was that
the homo-erotic quality of Bikers ran pretty
high. No matter all their posturing about girls
and sex and tits and booty, they basically
wanted to look good  -  all those jackets and
leathers and vests and boots, chains, heels
and cleats  -  for each other and in front of
each other. The peacock posture brigade,
quite often, and never as tough as they
seemed  - the regular guys, not the 1%
dudes, who'd just as soon rip your head
off with their teeth and laugh about it.
-
To a lot of the biker world, the usual and
iconic visage was the Death's Head, or else
some weird Valkyrie Norse pagan god. In
whatever space you give it, that was it. I
think they each had names, but I forget. For
all of this, I was never the visual sort so I
think I reacted differently than did others, to
a lot of this stuff. Funny, now, but I kept
making classical references for things I'd see,
even if they didn't exist or weren't wanted.
Most guys would see a topless girl and think
Lust. I'd figure for Venus DeMilo, not on the
half-shell. It just made it difficult for me to
connect. Which is where the alcohol fit in.
It got me through things. Over the ice-hump
of unwantedness. Don't get me wrong  -
I knew what I was in the middle of, the
pageantry and glow, but it was never me.
Horsepower and firepower  -  I'd shrug it
off as if to say 'who cares.' Every other
person, it seemed, had socked their lives
away with motorcycle-extras : Chrome
gee-gaws and gimmicks, special motorcycle
paint jobs and flames, and all that. A lot
of these were union job guys with tons
of expendable money  - townships and highway
crews, steelworkers welders, maritime guys
and truckers. And they all usually had a
messed up family life or two that probably
could have used that money, moreso
than did their exhaust or carburetors or
fuel injectors, turbo after-burners, wide
tires, camshafts and Brembo brakes. Those
soulless things never cried for want or for
more. Nonetheless, they got piled up on
motorcycles like Christmas tree ornaments.
-
To me it was pretty meaningless. The stuff I
rode hardly stopped, let alone went. Unlike
writing, say, when you're in the zone and it
just starts flowing and you have to stop what
you're doing and get it down at that instant,
(which happened way too often in this guise,
to no one's approval). These guys were often
endless and their time seemed always open.
How could (would) it be wasted away  -  
drinking, yes  -  while endlessly cooing 
over, and over, some dandy biker matter 
of little consequence? And not once, but 
repeated, next guy, next bike : sports, speed,
racing, wives, girls, sex, vacation, the islands,
scuba diving, snorkeling, road trips, biker
festivals, Sturgis, Laconia, Daytona, and
Myrtle Beach and Vegas too. It was all their
stuff  -  sometimes I thought I was hanging
with the Rockefellers or some wealthy elite.
It took all I could do to find a straight line,
let alone walk it, half the time.





No comments: