Thursday, August 24, 2017

9867. RUDIMENTS, pt. 52

RUDIMENTS, pt. 52
Making Cars
One time I had a job that afforded me,
as part of the job  -  in fact, a major part
of the job  -  the opportunity a few times
a week, in their car, to race down to
Philadelphia, most usually leaving about
10am, (80 minute trip), and having to arrive 
there for a 3pm deadline in some Appellate 
Court docket room. We used to print and 
produce, for a lot of the courts around, attorney's
briefs (legal nomenclature) for court appeals. An
 attorney's brief, having nothing to do with boxers 
vs. briefs or any of that stupid Clinton underwear 
story stuff. (I found it unbelievable, in 1992, to
see a candidate for President resort to such
foolery in reaching a job he would soon
besmirch anyway). These are legal
summations of argument and review,
usually 30 pages or so, which lay out the
basis for and strategy of, an appeal. They
had to be filed by certain times and dates,
and if they failed, the case was rejected.
So, it was incumbent upon me to be sure
they got there. I had at my use a new Ford
Galaxie company car. I usually sped, the
NJ Turnpike mostly, but not always. I had
my share of pullovers and speeding tickets,
but was told to just take what comes. The guy
who owned the company said he had a deal
worked out with some traffic court guy in
Trenton of getting them squashed. Which I
guess was the case because I never got fines
or points on my license or anything  - I'd just
turn the 8 or 9 tickets I got (over time) each
time I got one and never did I hear more.
The owner guy, Ron, he would boast about
all this stuff  -  calling his connections 'assets'
to his business, and courting his own business
acumen at having attained all these connections.
I also did Trenton and Hackensack (Bergen
County Courthouse) runs too. And lots of
Newark stuff. He even had ways, a few
times, if something important was late, of
getting back-dating and timing done. Which
all ever just proved to me that rules were
made to be broken, that all you needed were
the right connections and some cash, and that
most of the business world was a huge crock
of shit. Newark was always trouble parking  -
he told me to double park anywhere needed,
pop the hood up, take the keys, and do my
business, all the while pretending the car was
broken-down or disabled. Only once or twice
did I have trouble over that stuff. Once I
crashed into some dumb lady who was
swinging wide around a little roundabout
traffic circle thing they have at the rear of the
Newark train station, as you enter Ironbound.
It was no big deal, I talked my ass off to her,
kept the cops away, took her information, etc.,
and promised we'd send her a hundred bucks
for her light and chrome trim and stuff. I guess
they did; I never knew.
-
Back to Philadelphia. I liked it. Even wanted to
move there for awhile. The problem with it was
that all my exposures to New York had colored
for me what 'urban' was supposed to be about.
In Philadelphia, the variants were severe; nothing
muted. It had its great little spots, ethnic and
neighborhood, the place was lovely, the girls
and people really pleasing, but it had this
'Pennsylvania' thing that I just thought was
no good. Even if it was a 'city' it always just
seemed as if the people were waiting for the
crops to come in. No good for me, not a general
judgment. All I'd ever end up seeing was a
person in some oddball clothing who'd not last
3 seconds in New York. That mattered to me,
then. Everyone seemed to have come to
Philadelphia from the western farm areas, and
it just didn't have that grit and hustle, that
sensation of scrounge, that I needed. It had
a section with some really nice art schools
and cultural areas, but they were all Norman
Rockwell and Abie's Irish Rose kind of stuff
compared to the snuff films and glam-art of
NYC. I couldn't bear the lack of dirt and drizzle.
A facile judgment, yes, but that was the sort I
made. Also, things there didn't go up and down
so much like New York  - buildings ripped
apart and replaced in a month. Everything in
Philadelphia was staid and solid. (Or stayed,
and stolid  -  same kind of words. It gets to be
confusing); I'm meaning to say the change was
nothing there like New York's constant change
and churn.
-
I'd blow into  Philly (I never really called it
that), park the car, get to the very cool City Hall
with its big center courtyard, walking proudly
through all these great monuments and statues,
agape, deliver my crap, get the docket stamp,
time receipt, all that junk, and then I'd steal
two hours or so  -  always pretending to be,
later, late because of traffic, in getting back.
I'd just roam. I didn't drink, so I never saw
that side of Philadelphia (wish I had)  -
these were, I've read, the years of the era
when Bukowsky used to hold court at some
4th street bar along Brown street. He'd drink,
as usual to excess, with little money, and hire
himself out to whichever braggart would pay
him five bucks or whatever back then, to go
out in the rear courtyard and fight. Usually
beating Bukowsky up, but he got his money
and could keep drinking. This is the guy
who, somehow, got revered as some great,
big, authentic real American poetry voice.
He still has his fans and legions. Charles
Bukowsky  -  they even made a film about him,
called Barfly. I never could stand the guy, and
his work sucks too. Anybody I ever knew who
liked him was usually a younger kid, but not
a college younger kid, a working-stiff kind,
with tattoos, male or female (usually, but that
was then). No telling for taste. He was pretty
ugly too  -  not that it matters much, but I threw
it in here so I could point out how strange it
is to be writing about how unpleasant looking
someone was and have to juxtapose the two
very opposite words to express it  -  'pretty
ugly'  - I mean how's that go? Usually, you're
either pretty or you're ugly. But not here.
-
My times in Philadelphia were always memorable.
They had street stalls and outdoor book sales that
were a first for me and really cool. There used to
be a lawn around the City Hall and some of it had
gotten covered with dark green, wooden book stalls.
I'd pore over that stuff and be delighted. Most things
were like .25 or .35 cents. One dollar was out of
sight expensive. I found lots of stuff. For years
afterward I always searched for information about
these now-long-gone book stalls. They were a real
treasure and should not go unremarked. I even went
over to the Atheneum place once  - not so far off
and very Philadelphia important and proper  -  but
the 'Historian' they had there claimed no knowledge
of what I was talking about. And he was about 50. To
my 40. I figured I probably knew more than him, and
you really had to be a retard not to know what I was
referencing  -  if Philadelphia history and lore is your
game how the hell couldn't you know? Tuned out,
years later, I was reading the three or so books
written by Patti Smith  -  a regional kind of raucous
female rock star, marginal music and the rest; she
was (is) about my age and came from Deptford, NJ
and used to steal away to Philadelphia on runaway
days and pore over these very bookstalls for hours,
just like me and about the same times too. And she
wrote about it, in one of her books, 'Just Kids,'
maybe, or 'Wool Gatherers,' one of them. I could
have kissed her for the references. Hell, I'd have
married her just to thank her. (She was about on
par with Bukowsky in that department, but so
what. If looks could kill they'd both be champs.
But, then, hey, you ought'a see me). Only still 
later did I find, in a little niche on the inner
porch wall of some building's outside there,
a tiny pen and ink-bowl plaque memorial to 
the 'lost bookstalls of old Philadelphia'. Could 
have knocked me dead  -  all these idiots and
not a real soul among them.
-
I'll be back to all this, because I have things to 
go over. You see, New York just grew, all sorts
of geography, once, and haphazard streets and
alcoves downtown, and then they put that grid
plan overall the new stuff after about 1805, so
the rest of the city's like a right-angle prison.
Everything's got numbers and particular
dimensions, the blocks and all. Philadelphia,
by contrast, was 'planned' one of those L'Infant
designed places, Like DC too. Everything centers
around the City Hall square and plaza and spokes
out to there, to the two rivers. Broad thoroughfares,
pleasing sight lines, the 4 squares in equidistant
measurements out from the center, parks and
fountains, and above it all, Fairmount Park and
Schuylkill Heights and all. It's fairly nice. I'll 
get into it all another time. And Patti Smith
some too  - she was always a little annoying. She
got this dash of fame and then parlayed it into
other things. Like Polaroid, the old camera 
company, she hooked up with them for a
full, free supply of their instant film stuff 
and cameras, and wherever she's gone, for
free she's gotten cameras and film and taken
all these really crummy Polaroid time b/w's,
mostly, of things  -  writers' graves, their old
homes and tables and desks and stuff, and 
gotten raves and made millions  -  and gets
all religious and mighty over it all. Boy,
stuff like that really gets my goat. It's the
almost equivalent of Bukowsky renting 
himself out to go and get beat up in the alley.
So like stupid three-chord rock n' roll junk
that debases music, so too does this debase
art and, for sure, photography.








No comments: