Saturday, August 26, 2017

9878. THE DOOZY WAS LOADING LOADING THE HALF-TRACK

THE DOOZY WAS LOADING 
THE HALF-TRACK
'And my feet were in the middle; there was nothing
left to do. We went home early. Hey diddle diddle, the
cat and the fiddle, we sat down to watch TV.' 
-
Reluctantly, I had to tell the guy he was all washed
up and his doggerel was making me ill. We sat down
and negotiated some, and he mentioned wanting a
hard-boiled egg. 'Ok', I said, 'it's a deal.' I asked him
what he had read, what knowledge did he have?
-
He laughed back, and said 'I've read the Memories
of William Cullen Bryant.' He was lying, of course,
and to prove my point I asked him if he recalled if
they were actually the memories BY William Cullen
Bryant about events and things he'd lived, or if they
were memories OF Bryant, by others. Pretty obvious
a difference, if you ask me. He couldn't say.
-
Some people make a living lying. The lie of
some others becomes that they're living.

No comments: