Wednesday, August 16, 2017

9844. ARNIE ROTHSCHILD GOES AWOL

ARNIE ROTHSCHILD 
GOES AWOL
Last heard to say : 'There's nothing I want more than to
be important in your eyes, or good at something, or at
least, valued.' Then he ran off. I don't even know what
he was doing  -  perhaps the head baker there at Panico's
Bread and Icings'. Maybe they left out 'cakes,' or maybe
I did. In either case, 'Rothschild,'' they're screaming, has
fled!' I did that once myself  -  Emerson Quiet-Kool, to
make assembly-line air conditioners. The fools gave me
an electric screw driver and two buckets of screws at
8am, then they turned the line on. 4 screws to a unit;
torque and fix, proper. The units just kept coming. I
was freaking, and the boss guy running along the line
said he'd kill me if I fell behind. Yikes. I knew I'd have 
to pee by 10  -  three cups of coffee, an hour ago. He
laughed when I asked. 'This line goes down because of
you, you're dead.' I was maybe 17, Summer job crap.
8 bucks a day. I stayed two full days. My arm was
cramped, the guy kept pissing me off. On the third
day, by 9:35am, I just put down the driver and walked
off. 45 air conditioners every fifteen seconds, flying by,
and a dumb kid like me with a screwdriver and screws.
For two days I'd been skipping one or two each anyway.
I never even went back to get my two days worth of
16 dollars. Maybe back then a fortune. I don't know.
All I kept hearing for weeks was, 'If that line 
goes down, you're dead.'

No comments: