Monday, August 31, 2015

7102. RIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR

RIGHT OUTSIDE 
THE DOOR
The piccolo, the flute, and David Kane.
This all brings back a memory of long
ago  -   David Kane was a kid at seminary
school; he'd just come in from Delaware;
lived in Dover as I recall. He brought an
instrument with him  -  a piccolo or a flute,
yes, something I'd never seen as an 11 year 
old. (I'd be twelve in a month or so). He'd
put it on the floor, leaning by the wall, just
outside the door. It was curious to me. Some
sort of farm implement from another land
I'd never see. Turned out not to be that at
all. Just a nice thing, and when he played
he looked like a Revolutionary War soldier,
traipsing a field, and bandaged and taped 
from his wounds, while the battle raged
before him and was rousing the troops
as the old flags burned.

No comments: