Monday, February 28, 2011

2066. INTERREGNUMS OF THIS, INTERREGNUMS OF THAT

INTERREGNUMS OF THIS,
INTERREGNUMS OF THAT
The parlor was filled with ice, clear cubes of frozen water,
like crystals awaiting drink. Two dwarfs lounged, in
an irreconcilable frenzy of papered animation.
Board games and cigar smoke. Golden drinks in
golden glasses. I sat alone, in a velvet chair.
-
Feeling very much the flush freak myself, I
decided leaning back to sleep could work. I drifted
away, like container cork on a sea-foam of brine,
turning this way and that in a dream. I couldn't
make surrender, I couldn't make it seem.
Nothing that well worked. A dark red corduroy
curtain came down, shutting out the light.
Laughter too subsided.
-
My mechanical invention had here cost me
dearly - an automated looking glass that
sucked one into the scene. Everyone fell
for it...and now they all were gone. Which
side of that mirror was I now on?

No comments: