Tuesday, February 22, 2011

2055. HART CRANE PARTIALLY

HART CRANE PARTIALLY
When I was a young man in the dark New
York cold, I read my Hart Crane and swore
I'd never get old.
-
Now, windows have been shuttered with theCheck Spelling
planks of indecision. Reason itself mars the
table with its jagged knife marks gouging.
The swooning sun, the sunning moon,
everything out of kilter, fading soon.
-
I make my meek adjustments to the
world beyond my window. I do nothing
to disturb the frost and the cold. I remember
Jack Frost, when that name was given to
the spindly ice lines along the glass.
I caress the lost kitten found on the curb.
-
My poetry slams doors, opens doors, and
shatters walls and windows - all things
at once. I want nothing more than to be that
which best I can be : listen up! : 'Thy face
from charred and riven stakes, O Dionysus,
thy unmangled target smile.'

No comments: