Tuesday, February 22, 2011

2053. ONE VERY PRETTY CAT-LIKE FACE

ONE VERY PRETTY
CAT-LIKE FACE

(three globes/Hudson Street)
'I'm not hankering for that moment -
as well as anything else that in itself
can keep my mind afloat. She's got
a tincture of innocence swabbed on
that smile, and I'm thinking back,
eagerly, to where I was when I
first saw that style.'
-
Three globes somehow pressed into
the surface, a roadway glistens nearby.
Yes, he is eccentric, and I cannot
stop him. Won't even try. She, on
the other hand, whets my interest
like butter on a well-tossed loaf.
-
The blue sleeve of a newspaper bag
reminds me where I am, where I sit
to sunder my means. All this pawnshop
stuff, and here comes Little Miss Broadway.

2 comments:

Magnolia said...

a "tincture of innocence"....LOVE IT

gary j. introne said...

Hello. I'm so very happy you liked that. I wrote that entire piece this morning, carefully, over coffee at 6:30am at my usual cafe in Princeton. It seemed just to come, really easy and well. The references are to an occurance along Hudson St/NYC a few days back - just the usual squab of overheard conversation, idea and presence. I love that sutff. Thank you for seeing it. Right now I'm working on 'When I was a young man, in the dark New York cold, I read my Hart Crane and swore I'd never get old.' Just a rhyming couplet for now, but soon to be transformed as I work. Again, it's so cool to see that you're reading this stuff. Thank you.