Friday, February 4, 2011

2017. POET MAN

POET MAN
(Joseph Stalin was a people person)
I sat down with the poet man and a major one
at that; knew his name, he doffed his hat. Had
rim-shackle hair and an ice cream cone face. Said
his 'name be Paul' and said it in haste. The point
he made 'a poem shouldn't be long. Who wants to
hear or read all that stuff?' Then, quizzically, he
turned and said - 'at least that's the way I feel
about it. What about you?' I laughed and said
'well, yeah, sometimes maybe but on the other
hand I like to think 'let it splurge' just throw it all
out there, line after line, grow run and sputter
until you're done.' We left it at that. He said 'later'
and took the stage. Everything was fine, except
I couldn't hear a word he said after that.
That crowd never did shut up. Only
thing I remember, he said, 'Joseph
Stalin was a people-person'.

No comments: