Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2033. VOUCH FOR THE CHAIN

VOUCH FOR THE CHAIN
(very fast)
That thing is finally over and good
tidings for that - maple tree and willow
both down by the pond. I can't remember
a thing except what I was wearing - those
same dreary clothes I wore everyday for weeks
and the shoes from under the pew and that jacket
with darning for holes and no pockets. I called it
my lucky one, for all the good it did me.
-
Overabundance never killed anyone - least alone
not me. And I never had it to know. Your cigarette
racer and your devil cabana. I slept for days in your
'hood. The old lagoon, where once grandma and
Aunt Mill had lived, that shambles of a shed, and
those boys with nothing in their heads but ill will.
Never got tired of that one - violence and adventure,
hand to hand. Like a dog's leash, tied at the neck.
-
We finally swam away - as I recall , swearing to reach
Brisbane or Canberra or one of those joints on a
good Australian current. How much more stupid
could we have been? Not much, Charlie, not much.

3 comments:

nighthawk said...

could u be referring to the infamous Uncle Charlie?

gary j. introne said...

Hi Greg. No, actually this 'Charlie' was but an impulsive and chosen at random name. It could have been, as well, Butch or Billy or....Greg, I suppose. I wasn't thinking. It just came, and the most of it was deciding whether to use Charlie or Charley. Is there some sort of difference there? Gender or something.
Gary

angel said...

this is the one gary that caught my attention....thank you for the letter with all the sights....i will continue my readings :)