Thursday, February 24, 2011

2058. IN SUFFOCATING THE LINDSTROM

IN SUFFOCATING
THE LINDSTROM
(a vignette)
There are one million varieties of the spoken word :
the singsong, the chatter, the ideal and the real.
None of them alike, they all can be made to work.
I watch carefully as I climb. I present my membership
card to the wild girl at DIA Beacon, and she accepts
with a smile that lingers. Two men nearby are suffering
the mood of the bookshelves nearby. Art books on
Joseph Beuys and Blinky Palermo. Imagine!
-
I enter the room where the Chamberlains are -
old twisted clumps of colored steel. Nearby, a broad
room of repeated Warhol motifs, like bringing forth
the Aladdin from its pedigree of damage - all things
sourced and frothy. I seek only Michael Heizer. I seek
only Smithson and Beuys. Myself, I suffocate
in the Lindstrom.
-
A few hours later, I am having some food at the
Homespun Cafe. I never eat alone, as I always have
a companion and she is always with me. We do tricks
with money. We drink coffee alike, sitting shuttered
like art in a crate, in this 10 degree cold.
Everything just seems right.
-
I've written before of these moments, so watch
and you'll see the repeat. The girls of the town
are strolling in. They whip out their breasts and
start feeding all those daddy-less kids. There are
one million varieties of the spoken word :
the singsong, the chatter, the ideal and the real.
I am left with these endless variations, these
modern Madonnas, adrift in this world.

No comments: