Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2022. GILGAMESH

GILGAMESH
I am reading my fingers where they enter the womb,
catching the sunlit rays of glory from far-off ancient
days. We roam the Earth this way, together - building
walls and breaking clay, running with a brother and fighting
bulls. Wild things abhor us, and we sanction all the earth.
Encompassed by such, I hug the Earth while scanning
the sky. Cedars roar back at me, and, all over, the gate
to another world is opening wide. Not walking on water,
I instead slog beneath it, peeling mud from angry faces,
realizing Mankind in my ways, seeing Death and finding
an end. I cannot escape what it is I am. I go forward,
unto Death, and then I, passing, die. With my one
final breath I say 'I want to live forever!' And in
this way only - by my works living on -
do I myself so live forever.

2 comments:

Magnolia said...

I like this one also....good mental imagery for me.

gary j. introne said...

I'm happy to hear that. It's so curious, the things which strike people about writings - what they notice, what rings true for them, what they can latch onto and take away. I almost want to say it's different for everyone, and for each perhaps it is. But, at the same time, as the 'writer' doing this, I wonder what I've missed putting down if things are not ringing true. How I've failed. All those other words and titles, and this particular one affords you good imagery. That's so baffling and interesting to me. Is it imprecision, or too much ambivalence, not enough concrete and objective references that make others flat? Can you help?