Monday, February 14, 2011

2032. EXPERIMENTAL #3. 'And To the Wife of Bath'

'AND TO THE WIFE OF BATH'
(part 1)
This battalion loves you, this entire army of subterfuge
is here at your feet. The fir trees are waving in the wind,
for you. Let's not pretend (any more) that you do not see.
All this love amasses at the silliest of borders : where the
rivers twist and the men decide who owns what, or shall.
We may decamp for the night, our little entourage. But I
cannot, by myself, think of other than you. I cannot see
without you. I want to suck your toes, caress your limbs.
Oh God above us, how has it come to this?
-
I am not alone, mind you. There are fourteen men right now,
just like me, under darkness and night, thinking of just you.
Granted, all this is crazy, but so what. Listen! Listen, as I
spoof to be a contender in some future, modern age. How
different all things will be: I shall see you (naked) on the
back of decks of cards. Somehow, this occurs, as men hold
the cards, sitting around strange tables. Others, it seems,
are viewing you in pictures that really do seem to be moving.
How time elapses whatever may have occurred, I'm afraid
I simply do not know - nor the time or place I find myself.
-
We had no schooling, remember; everything we did we did
ourselves, lance and hammer. Sword and driver. Whatever
did not die, we bludgeoned until it did. Oh, Wife of Bath, now
please can you here help me? I am rigid, and alone.

No comments: