Saturday, February 26, 2011

2063. EPISTEMOLOGY AND GANGRENE

EPISTEMOLOGY
AND GANGRENE
And this devil has a way with words : those
cantilevered and spinning, wavering or about
to fall. He knows a few things about cause and
effect, guile and guilt, and the rest of that all.
-
Today is nearly February's end, and, in one
fell swoop, I am walking along 53rd and all those
other interior blocks which rest in this city's
crazed middle. Lights, camera, action. I
think of the people from a few years back -
those whose names are on walls and such -
and remember them now as, only alas, gone.
-
I've been called in once more to watch some films,
a few things by Warhol and one by Cornell. My
ancient friends, I listened to, and showed up with
dispatch. We sat and watched. Others, to whom
this was new, I found them laughing in the strangest
of places. Each spot in the films, evidently, we saw
differently. Two old people next to me stared steady
and straight ahead. The man had a walker, and the
woman guided him in, carefully - even though it
took him ten minutes to get settled in place.
Like watching a lamplight light.
-
Then I decided, in effect, that - all my life -
movies have bored me. Any movies at all.
I can't watch what I'm watching, can't
stop my mind from working, and can't
force myself to believe what they're
telling me I should be believing with
each scene. Somewhere else and far
away, I'm hanging, so to speak, instead
clouds on trees. Even these, sorry.
are better to see.

No comments: