Thursday, February 6, 2020

12,535. RUDIMENTS, pt. 954

RUDIMENTS, pt. 954
(no place for dark)
Like I said to the judge at
my miserable trial, 'You can't
trespass where you've never
been.' It was the 1970's and
I was already sick of the old
decade passing. I don't think
there was ever a more miserable
passage than the one from the
70s to the 80's, at least of course
in my own experience. It was
at just about that period when
anything that had been falling
apart was done falling apart,
and the nasty contagion had
been so bad that it had spread
to everything else : Panama
Canal, President Carter, all
that 'religion into everyday
life' overly pious crap he'd
spout : just beginning to fall
apart in response. I don't know
where it all got started, but in
1976 I'd found myself in sunny
California. Carmel-By-the-Sea,
where Clint Eastwood was
Mayor, and Joan Baez lived
too.  That was an over-eager
bunch; leastways she was. I'd
seen her once on some jerk
talk show going on about how,
in California, if and when the
Chinese hordes invaded from
the west, she'd be at the shoreline
welcoming them in. Yeah, I bet
she would too. My only hope was
that Clint Eastwood would take
her down with a thirty-ought-six.
That's a rifle, kiddies, and it's
not a trifle. Trifles are to be
trifled with; this wasn't.
-
When you read, now, any of those
miserable coming-of-age memoirs
about those years, they're really
crappy. Even the Iowa Workshop
ones, like, for instance, 'Body
Leaping Backward' by someone
named Maureen Stanton, who
teaches this stuff and does all
that Iowa Workshop kind of
proper material. Beside the
misery of reading the crap, in
a brief 150 pages, I've run across
three substantial errors,  in my
opinion. Now, when some schlub
(like me) makes errors in a
piece of personal writing, it's
okay because I have none of those
impeccable 'my-shit-doesn't-stink'
credentials about writing and
approach and besides I don't
give a lick. But, one of these
teacher-type blowhards, with
them, they ought to burn. She
mentions things, in a few spots,
that just don't exactly jibe. Her
father's watchband : she means
Twistoflex. She says Spandex.
In the era she's writing of, the
Speidel Company, or someone,
out with a Twist-O-Flex watchband.
(I have one right here). Metal,
expandable, and you could  -
unlike other watchbands of the
day, flip it over, turn it inside-
out. The metal band flex'd, and
that was the gimmick. It wouldn't
catch or break from a snag. But
it sure ain't Spandex. Then she
spends a lot of time talking of
1970's drugs, PCB, pot, etc. Even
if true and authentic, but written
poorly, it's freaking boring. Do
you want to read about 1970's
drug usage by 16-year olds?
I don't. Shoplifting, burglaries,
cops, angry parents. Oh, c'mon,
give me something to bite at.
Life is not presented that way,
memoir or not; it just becomes
a dreary dead-end to have to
read  -  if it's presented flatly
and in a less-than-interesting,
and matter-of-fact manner.
There's no special color to any
of this, no spiky digressions
that will get you somewhere
interesting, no new shafts of
language newly used. It's just
the same old toast  -  kid's stuff.
It might be perfect, and cover
all the right bases and inclusions,
with all the correct manners and
approaches, but it's dead like
yesterday's cadaver.
-
The best thing to be said, by the
way, about everyday life is that
it IS separated from religion, for
with religion along it would be a
daring, nasty, sheltered bore. We
should be glad most dead people
don't know Jesus until they're
dying. At least it granted them
interesting moments in life. When I
hit California, I saw that difference.
I didn't see much religion there.
Junipero Serra and all that mission
trail stuff, Spanish and not, all
those maniacs traipsing north up
the coast to yet another land and
place they could decimate in the
name of some cross-angled God.
Those tales, each of them, and
their lighting and color and all the
re-tellings, they bore no relation
to the California, San Francisco,
Santa Rosa, Cannery Row, Napa,
Monterey, Pacific Grove, Ross,
I saw then. The world of 'religion'
on the ground had nothing to do
with the idea of 'religion' in the air,
as preached, and as followed by
the millions. No imagination at all
forthcoming.
-
The biggest brag-spot church thing
when I was there was Grace Cathedral,
which dated from like 1965. It was big.
And boring. And it still looked new.
Right at Nob Hill, full of pride and
attitude. It reeked. A place like San
Francisco can take pride in lots of
things, but Episcopal Cathedrals would
not be one of them. Whatever it tried
to represent was gobbled up in the
Gorgon-Monster of consumption.
I sat around instead just watching the
locals and Mexican guys in their hot
rodded little cars, whizzing around.
There's a sort of car-culture, or was 
then, in that city that takes noisy,
small, cars to the maximal limit of
tolerance. They were all running,
traffic light to traffic light. All
things were off-key, even the
drunks flailing around at the bars
and grog halls. There was too much
light. I noticed that right off, and
it flavored everything and threw it
all off, at least to my eyes, the
dark, horrid eyes of a grungy NYC
east-coast outcast. The light there,
by contrast, is steadier, brighter, and
golden, somehow. If they ever really
needed a church in San Francisco,
for jeeper's sake, instead of bragging
about bricks and mortar all they
need really do is walk into Golden
Gate Park and get lost and stay lost.
That's your religion for you. 
-
Thinking back now, I can't remember
it getting dark in San Francisco, or
night coming on. I hardly understand
how that occurs, based on my memory
of the light and the air. Silver. Gold.
Bright white. No place, it seems
now, for dark.




2 comments:

nighthawk said...

Very interesting Arte Johnson might say. He went from the 60s to the 70s too. Once held out for more money on Laugh In because he thought he was a real comic. God bless ya is all I can say and I say it quite a bit these days.

gary j. introne said...

Well, Unknown, (wish that weren't so), yes I remember the name Arte Johnson, with that trace of an accent and the 'but stupid'follow-up to it too. Thanks for reading and responding. gar