Monday, February 10, 2020

12,548. RUDIMENTS, pt. 960

RUDIMENTS, pt. 960
(mistah kurtz - he dead)
One thing that happened to
me, as I noticed, one of the
changes over age, was that
reading became different.
Many of the books I'd read
before, as a younger person,
I suddenly realized, as re-read,
that I must have never really
read them previous. It was
all different; I guess maybe it
was mostly just the idea of
retention, but it seemed as
if I now 'read' much more
carefully  -  noticing things,
seeing usage and points of
view, settings and character,
as if I'd never seen them
before. I don't know what it
all meant (means), but I
wonder if age always ends
up disliking its own youth.
Bad reflection in a primal
mirror I'd suppose. There is
no 'up,' and I've got nowhere
to go but down.
-
That California guy with the
crazy back-seat girlfriend, 
he's dead now; 13 or 14 years 
already. She's  -  last I knew -
living in Hawaii somewhere.
'Aloha' always sounded too
much like Mauna Loa to me.
(That's an active volcano there).
Just before he died - by his
own hand by the way - he'd
asked me to take off with him.
He wanted, as a manly excursion
of life-altering proportions, for
himself, and me, to chuck it
all, leave family and home, and
take off, without aim, to walk
the deserts of Afghanistan. Yes,
you heard that. Nomadic and
intrepid voyagers. He wanted
nothing; maybe a few rags and
some basic food, but no other
stuff; no bags or lodgings or
itineraries or schedules. No
anything at all. I declined;
he sort of grumbled, said
his piece, and in a few months
was dead. 3,000 miles away,
mind you, east to west coasts,
but dead nonetheless. I don't 
know what snapped to cause
all that, or if this refused trip
was germane to cause. Doesn't
matter now, as the dead bury
the dead; not me.
-
I think it's all, again, a matter of
differences; like that California
light-quality, or quality-of-light, 
which probably says it better.
In the same sort of way as the 
ancient Aztecs or Mayans, the place
seemed permeated with a different 
sort of creepiness, one that got
into people's souls and beings.
I fully expected platforms for a
blind, blood-sacrifice at each
street-corner, some ritual and
formal versification to the great
Sun-God of Being up above. But
I never really saw or heard it;
just glimmers and whispers.
Little kids in the cereal aisle
could be no more evasive as
the average resident there about
what was really going on.
What freaks me always though 
is the ways things slip from 
control. That entire 'helpless'
thing over and again. Magical
thinking, as I put it previously,will
say there's a reason and a cause,
and it will all work out, but I
can't fly with that at all, and it's
just stupid. Nothing magical
about it. Transformational
values are always underway  - 
that's why people do things 
like that original running off
to California in the first place.
You're taking some idea-stones
with you to re-create freely the
something that's in your mind.
When it fails, I think it fails hard.
At that point, we're all cowards
to some extent, and some more 
than others. We 'make' a life,
until it fails. It seemed to me,
there, that the major difference
between being there and being
in Perth Amboy or Rahway NJ
was that the folks in California
were conscious of the manners 
by which they were 'making' 
their lives. The work was all in
that making. Back in NJ, it
seemed to me everyone, by
contrast, just trudged along, 
taking what came. No great
ideas were ever initiated in 
that way, everything was 
seemingly 'proposed' out 
there first and it then slowly 
dribbled east. At the end of
his life  -  and I'll be brutally
honest here  -  what drove my
fried out of this life was the new
influx of Mexicans he was
seeing everywhere. It was all
he most often talked about -  
how that drive and dedication
towards origination was being
lost as California itself was being
put through the same strainer as
everywhere else. And this 17 or 
20 years ago already. I'd never
seen him so incensed about
things before, like that. He had
a veritable arsenal in his Vallejo
home, and, by the time this was
all over I was sort of glad he'd
decided to merely blow his own
brains out and not take out a
shopping plaza or a group home.
Everything was ablaze with 
craziness by then. I'd get a 
letter asking me to check out 
someplace in deep Pennsylvania 
for him, to find him somewhere 
he could resettle. Far-off country
up there, where I knew. But NOT
New York State; he abhorred it
and said it was no better than
California, and was in fact worse,
with rules and taxes and laws.
He wanted me to stay sure-south 
of that shared border (which is 
where I had originally been).
None of it helped; he made no
moves, and it all ended up on 
this Afghanistan break-out trek 
across the desert. Probably to a
sure death anyway so it was all
the same. The more things change
the more they stay the same and all
that. Past a certain point it became
stasis and nothing moved. And he
was dead. 'Mistah Kurtz - he dead,'
as Joseph Conrad put it in, I think,
Heart of Darkness.

No comments: