Thursday, February 13, 2020

12,556. RUDIMENTS, pt. 963

RUDIMENTS, pt. 963
(three strikes, you're out!)
Some nights, when you're
performing, you know
immediately when it's
going to be 'off''  -  not
up to the usual; sub-par,
maybe even mediocre. It's
just not there, that quality of
whatever 'it' is. That quality
comes from within and it
walks around with you, goes
through the same warm-ups
and paces and rehearsals. It
knows you and you know it; and
you both know, immediately,
when it's not syncing. To be
right, mysteriously satisfying,
even perfect, it all has to meld
and gel, perfectly. You can
tell, or be told by yourself,
either way, right off when
it's not working, and when it
is too  -  by that other extreme,
a sort of glimmer of excitation
not to be contained. You look
out and see all the little heads,
lit in the darkness by the stage
lights overhead  -  not meant to
be lit, but lit nonetheless. The
chatter, the hum. Stage-time
has its own clock, running way
fast, sometimes, and other times
lagging badly behind the apparent
reality of what it is you're presenting.
It's the same in writing  -  I've
heard, one or two times, of
'writers,' in elation at a line or
an idea just finished, who have
stopped, gotten up, gone outside
and, in a pure joy, screamed or
exclaimed to the sky what they'd
done. A momentary craziness,
perhaps, but the 'on' was on.
-
Other times, by contrast, the
whole situation just brings me
down and I want to die. And a
silent, graceless death too  - 
no big pomp, no explosions.
I'm just so out-of-tune that
even my assonance is
dissonance; and I don't know
if that makes any sense, but I
don't care and the crowd is
restless to move on.
-
I always wanted to visit Finland,
where all the cars are '59 Caddies.
(That's a joke).
-
I told that to a guy once in some
little Village bar down by Christopher
Street. He thought it was funny, and
I had a guy and a girl with me and
the girl kept going around asking
people if they thought I was virile.
I was about 50 then, and she'd
asked people if they thought it 
would be OK if I had a 26-year
old girlfriend. (This is all true,
I'm not making this up). The
general consensus, probably by
the power of suggestion (?) was
that it would be OK as long as
I was virile enough to keep
this 26-year old happy. If not,
they mostly all thought, it would
be a senseless waste of time. I
was just sitting there trying to
make up, quickly, some more
one-liner kinds of hopefully not
too lame jokes to keep people
amused  -  I found that if you 
kept people amused that sort
of kept them away from you at
the usual level, and you didn't
need then to bother with them
or do any of that crummy small
talk stuff about the weather and
baseball and all that. As I sit
here typing this I think now
what I'd do in that situation 
today  -  not the 26-year old girl
part of it no, I mean the jokes
and the performance. I figure
I'd stand up, amidst everyone,
being just a little tipsy so as
to lose some of the reticence,
and I'd cough a little too, and 
in my hand, and say,   'Can I 
have everyone 's attention 
please, (cough, cough), I just 
want to say a few words, and 
buy everyone a round too. I've
just returned from Wuhan, in
China, and my good fortune was
in contracting for a live-animal
food franchise for America,
here. It was a very remunerative
trip for me. And to show my
appreciation, (cough, cough),
I'd like to let everyone know
what a wonderful place Wuhan 
is. Drink up, and thank you.'
As Delmore Schwartz put it,
'In dreams begin responsibilities!'
Probably everyone would clear
out of their, screaming!
-
Just about then, (back to reality)
a motorcycle pulled up outside,
to the light at the corner, and 
waited. This bar had an 'open'
front, which allowed viewing 
and access to the outside street,
which was right there. A really
lame bartender guy puffs up,
nearly screeching. 'Oh my God,
an Indian motorcycle! What a
beautiful motorcycle!' It was
actually ugly as sin, with
tan, fringed saddlebags, and
most every extra doo-dad you
could think of. It looked 
downright girly, truth be told.
I switched immediately and
turned on this bartender guy.
'Hey, that's not a real Indian,
don't mess your pants. That's
the new, lookalike, modern
version. They bought the name
and throw it on their lookalike
throwback bikes. You're way
over-reacting. The real Indians
were made in Springfield, Mass.,
and there are very many spectral
differences here. That bike, my
friend, is a fake! Just like the
rest of the modern world.' I was
getting myself all worked up,
for nothing. Just as he was for
the faux-nostalgia of some
half-assed knowledge-memory
of old America as personified
by an Indian  motorcycle. How
do you even begin with such
people? Everything was surface;
no depth, no previous knowledge
or understanding. And speaking
of 'virile,' who in the world would
palpitate like a young girl over
a 'pretty' motorcycle? This guy
fully needed a crowbar
to the head.
-
I wouldn't know where to begin
in trying to explain these sorts of
situations to anyone else. If I
had to 'speak' this, it would surely
fail  -  but the pleasure and the
promise of the written word is
how it can be used to set the scene
and have you, as the reader, conjure
the needed extra pieces  -  in fact
actually 'make' the place that I've
suggested  -  giving the precise
details of that different-for-everyone
location for yourselves, each. It's
funny how, in what we select from
as 'reality,' only one of these places
can exist  -  the one I was in and
where this occurred. The quite actual
place, the 'I can take you there now'
reality of it all; yet there are as many
versions of the pictograph of it too
as there are people reading this.
-
Before I close this one, here are
three thoughts. 1. Apparently, in
today's world, warfare has been
replaced by sanctions? Maybe that's
so. Maybe it's good, or not, but it
holds out the opportunity of finally
getting hold of the military budget
and slashing it to bits? 2. Politics
is the organizing of hatreds? And,
3. Cyberspace is a consensual
hallucination experienced daily
by billions of legitimate operators
 in every nation?


No comments: