Saturday, February 29, 2020

12,594. THE WEDDING

THE WEDDING
Just wait, while they all awaken.
I'm only one slow guy and right
now I do very little. Like the
mandrake in the deep dead of
night I can replicate furriers and
split hairs and parse sentences.
Five to ten? That's exactly what
you'll get  -  so the judge said.
But who needs the time when
time is what you're doing? I 
left green hedges at the wharf
where we'd landed : boats, saddle
sores, candy wrappers, coffee.
-
I can never figure out this life
except for the good way it goes.
ALL things move together, good
fortune for that. The whole boat 
heaves in swells but nothing takes
notice. The coffee in the cups too
rises, the shakers on the table stay
put. If everything moves at once
in unison, nothing really moves
at all. That's how we founded this
universe; and that how we found
it too  -  none the worse for either
laughter or use. Take my name,
I give it to you.

No comments: