Monday, February 10, 2020

12,546. RUDIMENTS, pt. 959

RUDIMENTS, pt. 959
(I need a sanctuary state!)
One thing I couldn't shake
was Jack London. I hardly
remember now where his
place was, but I went into
the woods and visited it,
wherever it was. He had a
wife too, I forget Charmian,
I think was the name, or
maybe Sharmian, one of
those. He was an offbeat
writer of sort of oddball
Yukon tales and stuff  -
White Fang, Call of the
Wild, and other Yukon
Gold Rush stuff. Confusing
character, a bit wildly off
and eccentric too, with a
peculiar biography. This
place was a stone and
timber, large, home, deep
in the middle of some
woods. It had burned, a
long time ago, in fact maybe
it was never ever completed,
but before it burned, but it's
claimed as his home and they
made a historic site of it.
There are some guide-signs
posted around, with old
photos and scenes. But no
matter, the glory of it was
location. I loved it. So lost
and far-off, it seemed. That
sort of place doesn't need 
words, it was all kid of 
ghostly, with his presence 
still around, whatever level
of it it may have been. Jack
London was also one of those
original Bohemian Grove
fellows  -  crazy and wild
in the woods. If anyone 
maybe could have kept me
there it would have been him,
spirit and history-wise, but
in actual fact, his writing
never did much for me and
held little interest. So I
folded on that account too. 
-
You could find little things 
out, here and there, but the
'old' California kept a lot of 
itself to itself and you had to 
dig. It would have been like a
history project, yes, bit one
that began way too late for 
my taste. Previous to any 
real 'colonization,' what
became California was a 
lot of Christian/Hispanic 
missions and trails and all;
it always seemed like naive
and faulty cultural infatuation.
Servitude. Enforced Christian
piety. Trial by fire.
-
Speaking of fire, I used to 
walk around San Francisco 
and think  of'that 1906 
earthquake, when  all those 
fires broke out and old 
wood-framed San Francisco
went the way of a dream. I
called it the Fried Zone., or
San Firecisco. No one ever 
got the joke, but it was ok. 
Back then the whole place 
just torched itself up and 
everything fell in sheets,
either sheets of fire, embers,
or ashes. There wasn't much
of any water around, all else
was in an emergency, and
there wasn't much they could
do. Mostly the people who 
died were unknown and
uncounted. There wasn't, in
1906, much of any way to be
sure of names and counts and
amounts of people, the registrar
angle on things was still primitive
and, anyway, old 'Frisco (no
one there really ever says that,
or do they say 'San Fran.' Those
are both dead giveaways for you
being an outsider), was a travel
town, with itinerants and people
always coming and going, or
passing through to somewhere
else. The whole thing was a
bad disaster.
-
There's this thing called Magical
Thinking. I got interested in the
concept, even way back in seminary
school, when I realized that people
actually pray for 'things.' Which was
a weird, very weird, concept. They
pray for that loan to go through so
they can get that new car, or that
their cancer will go away, or they 
can win a lottery. I mean, you name
it. Someone once said 'God doesn't
do vacation homes,' and I knew
immediately what was meant. It's
actually pretty perverse to use
'religion,' as an ostensible cause,
to try and effect a momentary,
earthly want. If nothing ever
makes any sense, and it usually
doesn't, that's about the best place
to start. Yet, no matter, people
do it. The more miserably poor
and uneducated one is, the
more it seems to happen  -  you
see some strange dweller in a
poor neighborhood who just
witnessed a cinder-block coming
down to the sidewalk from 14
stories up and landing 10 feet
away from them  -  you put a
TV camera in their face and
right away they're talking 
about how God spared them, 
was watching out for them,
had made them, that day, NOT
walk close to the building as
they usually did, and that being
the 10 foot margin that saved
them. Yeah OK. Magical 
thinking to the rescue.
-
The point of all this was that 
I wanted to bee in as many 
places at once as my silly, 
stupefied mind'could manage, 
but it could barely manage 
one. Most everything I've
learned, I've learned by the
doing. The scampering around,
The experimenting and the
theorizing that goes with a 
very loosely wired brain. I
don't do channels very well.
There ought to be a section
of the country for people like
me. I mean, why should 'we' 
have to put up with the trials 
and tribulations and rules and 
misnomers of the mass of men, 
when 'we' subscribe to little of
it; like, for instance, all these
wankers switching back and forth
from some illicit impeachment
to the freaking, stupid Oscars, 
and treating both in the same 
breath and with the same freaking 
gay enjoyment, as if all things 
were frilly entertainment? Hell,
I need a sanctuary state! I'll
take Nebraska. You can take
Kansas. Throw the bums living
there now the hell out. Or send
them back to New Jersey.

No comments: