Wednesday, November 21, 2018

11,333. RUDIMENTS, pt. 509

RUDIMENTS, PT. 509
(joyce kilmer walks to highland park)
Queasy I am, and then
just call me that. Though I
can walk a five-mile bridge,
I won't, having not the need.
I can drive well enough. There
was one time, long back, I
walked from Metuchen to
Inman Avenue, Avenel, all
of it about 7 miles, maybe 6,
just to see what it was like,
and about. Boring as all
Hell could be -  and that
was when I realized we've
pretty much lost the world.
Everything along the way,
even any parks and other
leisure spots, they've all
all been turned over to
the automobile. There's
not really anything left.
Roadways, drives, tar,
trucks and paving. All
the other things anywhere
have been twisted or
ditched   -  waterways
into sluices and pits that
go under roadways or into
channels. Ridiculous parks
which, by Freeholder and
county oversight, lose more
land than they gain each
year, with concrete and
paved pavilions, ice-rinks,
segregated play areas set
off by paving and parking  -
fake theater sections, Plays
In the Park drivel using the
lawns and drives for a
furtherance of parking and
drains, NOT parkland.
And then, of course, the
dumb, bastard freeholders
and and mayors take credit
for the defamation  -  names
and faces plastered everywhere,
sinful amounts of money
squandered on staff and on
upkeep. I learned a long time
back that it's all trickery.
-
My friend, Frank, and
his girlfriend Mona, one
time walked from Colonia,
where he'd grown up on
Longfellow Drive, to the
far end of Livingston Avenue
in New Brunswick, where
he had an apartment. They
walked Route 27, all the
way, and I said to them,
later, actually unsure
myself, since I wasn't
living there and was not
real sure what exactly
was along Rt. 27, I
asked then what was
there as they walked it,
what had they seen?
(This was about 1981). I
don't know what I expected,
but to my mind it was as if
they'd undertaken some
grand and grueling trek.
(People never seemed to get
excited over the things I
grandly enthused over).
They just kind of shrugged,
saying, 'Not much, some
stores, a McDonald's, and
houses.' Nondescript, pretty
much, and it even left out
Highland Park, which
hugs one side of the
river, the Raritan, by
which bridge they had
to cross, walking over
to get to New Brunswick.
I remember the car wash
along there (still in place),
just before Highland Park,
for about 10 years after
John Lennon was killed,
it said, in black paint, a
scrawled, 'Lennon Lives!'
That was there a long time.
Now there's an area there
called Koreatown  -  all
sorts of Asian/Korean little
businesses, with their language
proliferating on signs and
things. Highland Park itself,
being overly a Jewish
community, also has a
few businesses in that area 
too -  Glatt Kosher Catering,
and a small Glatt Grocery
(recently shuttered). There's
a Jewish weightlifting/sports
workout place, with a Jewish
name and Hebrew lettering
  -  it's really funny, because,
with that same name on the
side, they keep an ambulance
van parked there, I guess in
case anyone over-freaks
at their workout. The Korea
part (the American-owned
musical instrument store
that had been there for years,
'Lou-Rose Music' - named
after the couple who ran
it  -  it too is now gone. I
used to do their printing,
and their son's too (a NYCity
hairdresser guy, on Fifth at
51st, 2nd floor over the street),
and the Koreatown places
have this cool watch repair
guy, Jimmy's Watch Repair
or something like that. I
took one of my wind-up
watches in once for repair,
thinking it would be simple,
and he nearly threw me
out for bothering him.
'What you think? Cheap?
That very expensive repair!
No!' I said, 'How much?
$70? $125?' He said 'NO,
lots more. No do! Not here!
Throw it away!' Oh well, I
tried. That's a real story; I
pass the place all the time.
Never have I seen a
customer. And the time
I was there, he got so
apoplectic over that little
repair I thought for sure
he would need that
Jewish ambulance.
-
Also, speaking of those 
walks, it's funny now, 
but my days in NYC 
often get me covering, 
easily, 11 or more miles 
by the time I'm done. It 
goes easy and without 
care, because of the 
thousand eye-grabbing 
things always going on, 
the short street distances, 
the curbs and traffic, 
bicycles and cars and 
trucks and buses  - 
everything basically 
intent on running you 
down. Really, a mile 
there is nothing like 
anywhere, and who's 
counting anyway. Except 
that there's about 20,000 
old people too, in the 
course of a day, that you 
see, for whom 40 yards 
of walking must surely 
be a struggle. Bloated 
legs, bent backs, wheezing, 
bad eyesight, postures 
gone, the speed of a snail, 
or less. New York City 
might be a mess, yes, 
but it's not like anywhere 
else either, for the mix, 
the topsy-turvy overlap 
of space and distance, 
up-closeness and 
far-awayness too, all 
at once. It's a good thing
though, all that contrast;
survival being what it is,
you really have to hand
it to these struggling people
hanging on. Especially with
all the whiz-bang runners, 
joggers, and bicycle people
raging by. It is said, has
been told to me (back here
to New Brunswick and that 
walk) that when the New
Brunswick poet Joyce Kilmer
(who wrote that landmark
and mostly tritely-terrible poem
'I think that I shall never see a
poem as lovely as a tree...')
lived in New Brunswick all 
those years, he would walk that
bridge (the previous version of
it, rickety and made for horses, 
not cars), each day, so as to
have coffee, and a drink, on the
porch of the large hotel and
rooming house that was there,
in Highland Park, at what
is now a 'V' in the road where
Route 27 and Woodbridge
Avenue converge. It's all gone
now, traffic rules the roost, but
right where the porch area
was is a statue of a WWI 
Doughboy (soldier). (This
was all told to me back in the
1990's when I had a friendship
with the old fellow who ran
the 'Joyce Kilmer House' on
Kilmer Avenue, in New 
Brunswick. The museum
was housed in the home of
Joyce Kilmer, back then. It
was (both home and museum)
small, and almost non-descript.
But, there were photos of those
old days  -  the house, the road,
that bridge, and the hotel and
rooming house, with Kilmer.
At the location of the Doughboy
Statue there was NO mention 
made of Joyce Kilmer, nor of the 
real past of that spot. One Memorial
Day, before the parade and all
that, in the morning as people were 
assembling, he'd invited me
along, to go with him to this
location, with the Kilmer poem 
and a sort of memorial scroll
which he'd had made up; to
add to the memorial, and,
it was hoped,  read the poem 
aloud, as well. We nearly got
hung! The assorted veterans'
groups there, and VFW and
Legion lodges, wanted absolutely,
in no way, anything to do with
some stupid 'poet' riding on
their Memorial War Dead
festivities. The poor old guy was
wounded to the quick, very hurt
and offended  -  making matters
worse, in his eyes, was the fact
that he'd invited me there, with 
him, only to witness his humiliation
and utterly failed attempt at
something we'd both cared 
about. Which, I just figured,
went to show that you can fight
your wars, and drink your beers,
but DON"T bring up poetry
at the legion bar. (But boy,
did I feel bad for him).

No comments: