Thursday, November 1, 2018

11,282. RUDIMENTS, pt. 489

RUDIMENTS, pt. 489
(dave van ronk)
Everything diminishes.
I guess that's true. Degrades.
Atrophies. (No trophies
for that). When I was back
in seminary school, and
Jean Paul Sartre refused
his Nobel Prize, I thought
that was one of the most
ennobling things I'd ever
seen. A stupid motion like
that ended up affecting me
greatly. Whatever year that
may have been  -  and it
totally escapes me now  -
things that had meaning
really had 'meaning.' The
world was still high and
tight with its pitches  -
structured well, disciplined.
Now they just throw at
your head and call it
inadvertent  - they can't 
even own up to the crap
they do. I never thought
I'd end up here and now,
saying this, but if one
thinks about it there's
not really much difference
between the travesty of,
say, the 2016 Nobel Prize
for Literature, (Literature,
mind you!), going to Bob
Dylan, and the US Presidency
going to Donald Trump  -
even in light of his twisted,
bastardized and sequestered
opponent. It's all the same
pattern of a junk-weave,
to me, and it's as if they
had, in 1964, given the
prizes to, first, Elvis, and
then, who, Mayor Daley,
in Chicago? Jimmy Hoffa?
That would have never stood.
Now, they can do anything
and no one cares anyway.
I find it all to be an equal
travesty  -  Trump, Dylan,
and the rest. Poor Philip
Roth, dead. Dylan got it
from him. Damn.  I remember
back when, Dave Van Ronk
bitching out Bob Dylan,
number one for stealing
things; number two for
taking whatever he could get
from people in his starting-out
Greenwich Village days,
everything from lodgings,
food, records and books,
including a Van Ronk song
or two, and then turning on
everyone anyway. (Read
'Chronicles.' He even lies
about how he came up
with that title). Anyway,
Van Ronk's biggest beef
(and best comment) was
about how Dylan had
whittled everything
down, watered the
running content of all
things mostly down
to very deliberate,
predictable rhymes,
couplets, junk words,
and the like, AND had
then put it into the
heads of a million kids
with a guitar that they
could do the same thing,
thus dribbling it all down
to random crap. His quote
was, 'Bobby's got a lot
to answer for.' Quite
rightly, son. (To steal
from Donovan).
-
Along Inman Avenue,
when I first received
an Emerson 8 or 12
transistor radio (I forget),
about 1961 maybe, I
remember going outside
with it and listening to
songs, or whatever
they were then, they'd
I'd seldom heard before
-  Sam Cooke, Ben E.
King  -  that Rose In
Spanish Harlem thing.
A lot of that was pretty
mind-boggling : that
In the Jungle, the Mighty
Jungle. In 10 or 12 years
it somehow went from
that (sort of exalted)
version of a conscious
reality, to the ironic and
slap-happy Nobel Prize
demeanor of, instead, the
Mighty Quinn. Forget the
jungle. When Quinn the
Eskimo gets here, all the
jungle gonn'a run to him.
Yeah, now we all say we
live on Exaltation Boulevard
(until they fully legalize
marijuana, when everyone
will then want to be living
on Inhalation Boulevard.
You think times are tough
now, out on the roads, with
phones? Try making a right
onto High Street). 'I found
my thrill, on Blueberry Hill.'
-
One time I met a guy who
told me I should begin,
immediately, writing
everything down  -  dreams,
comments, details and all
the things I notice about
ordinary life. This was no
one special, mind you, no
one who had made any big
deal out of himself. It was
very quizzical, and looking
back on it all now I can
only wonder, for goodness
sake what I must have
looked like to this guy. I
was 15 or 16, a complete
shambles in most aspects.
This guy was a much
different sort of individual,
big job, big house built in
the woods, in Mahwah or
somewhere. He was the
Personnel Manager for
some company; what we
now call, I guess, H. R.
(Human Resources). He
interviewed, hired, did
the follow-ups, and fired
to. He used to tell me
what they looked for in
an applicant that made
him or her worth hiring
to them. Attitudes,
outlook, education,
responses. And, of
course, looks  -  which,
without saying was, I
think, his real message
to me. 'Straighten it all
up, or get off the ship.'
I quickly got off. The
Disembarkation wasn't
so bad. Around him I
always felt so different;
there really was just a
difference of aims and
outlook, but he'd never
fathom the 'other' sort 
of quest I was on  -  
meaningless in the 
Human Resources
run of things. Anyway, 
he had two kids, Drexel 
Univ., the son, as a 
Pharmacist. Etc. All 
those things worked
out. What was weird 
for me, and this will be 
weird, I'd bet, just reading, 
is that he had been my 
mother's beau before
the entry of my father 
onto the scene. Very
strange juxtaposition of
fault lines, and probably
so much hinged on that.
Another time, amidst all
my family people, when 
my mother was in the 
hospital and everyone 
was visiting it seemed 
at once  -  (let me say
here, ahead of time, that
what you're about to hear,
as odd as it may be, is 
perfectly normal for my
family, back then) - an
old girlfriend of sorts
walked in, to visit her 
own mother, upstairs.
All the jibber-jabber 
talk ran to the usual, 
'Hi, how are you, what's 
new, what's up, etc.). 
One of my sisters pipes 
up, turning to my son,
and says, 'Just think, 
Jaime, that could have 
been your mother.' I
guess the assumption 
was, 'yeah, if only...' 
but the end result of 
the bizarre context, 
logic, and conclusion
was akin to running a 
fast automobile into a 
brick wall at 200 mph.
I think, for comedy, had
they a Nobel Prize, that 
would have been worthy.
-
One last, funny but not so
funny thing : at my father's
burial, in the harsh, cold,
December rain, we had to 
slog through a lot of mud 
and nasty muck to get to the 
grave. Raw, wet ground, 
dug-up and rutted. This
personnel director guy ('just
think, he could have been
my dad') was there too. He
fell or stumbled, with the
mud, twisted himself up,
hurt his back to a near
immobility  -  from which 
he never recovered  -  the
entire ordeal  -  and died, not
that long after that, himself.





No comments: