Friday, November 2, 2018

11,288. RUDIMENTS, pt. 490

RUDIMENTS,  pt. 490
(slap-down)
There have always been
things I never understood.
None of it ever really
mattered, except for the
few times it almost caused
me trouble  -  for calling
out the truth of what I saw.
Maybe that's all prideful BS,
but whatever, and it's not.
I grew up knowing what I
wanted and how to articulate
it too. I guess the worst of
it was, running for Mayor
of Metuchen once (for about
2 days), I spoke my mind
about, finally, something
real, and was thrown off
the ticket within 2 days.
It was quick, surgical,
and ugly. But I learned
from it. (Problem was, I
had just cut off all my hair,
and my beard, for those
1998 dweebs, and they
left me high and dry and
looking like a fawn. No
thanks were ever sent).
I learned that when you
play the game of party
politics, you're already
in jail, your reasoning
is stripped from you at
the door like a new bride's
pajamas in a fancy hotel.
They no longer want you
to think; only their way,
take their orders, ride
with their team. It's all
quite masturbatory, but
it's their hand on the
'controls' so to speak.
The Onanism Party, like
we have here in Avenel.
The drunk Mayor's face
in the background of
every 'McCormac Team'
poster, and the monsterettes
chosen all smiling in the
foreground, lapping at
themselves for your
vote. And we have a
Mayor here who thinks
that 'Better Education'
consists of more parking,
improved lots, fluffy theater,
and probably a few extra
vocational courses offered,
like 'Brewery Science,'
or 'Mixology.'  On that,
along with gray money,
you build a tax-funded
career and livelihood.
Think of all that the
next time you vote, all
you dutiful, backyard,
Woodbridge Americans.
-
It wasn't that 'Royalty' or
whatever that's called in 
America, held me in thrall, 
but I was fascinated by old
New York, that list of the 100
most elite families, etc., the 
Social Register types, those who
got all the right invitations and the
proper social connections which
opened doors for them. It was
both disgusting and fascinating
to think of such people. I recall
reading of that 'certain type' of
New Yorker who, whenever a
new book about this or that of
New York society would be
published, bought one and went
right to the index in the rear pages
to see if their names or any of
their family names, were in it.
The sort of growing up I had,
such a thought would never even 
cross my mind  -  we were often
enough humiliated by the Sunday
church bulletin which  -  also
disgustingly  -  played on pride
(one of the Seven Deadly Sins,
I'd thought) by printing, each
Sunday, for all to see, the list of
parishioners from the previous 
week, and how much they had
given in their collection envelopes.
It was broken down, first, into 
the dollar groupings ($50, $40, 
$25, etc.) right down to like 10
cents (kids, one hoped), and the
family names in that category
were listed alphabetically. I
always thought that to be the
cheapest, most foul trick.
We were usually in the 
dollar aisle there too.
-
When I was a kid watching
all that politics stuff, the
word was never let out
that JFK was banging
every Mary Jane, Linda,
and Betty that he could.
The weird  thing about
America has always
been that the subtext of
everything has always
been sex. The fashion
industry, entertainment,
even advertising and
automobile and airline
industry stuff pushed
sexuality, innuendo,
illicit contact, and the
proverbial wink about
every other adjunct
of same. That's where
the cheesy big money
was. They mix it, and
everything else, up now
too  -  most of those
people rounded up
and fired and put away,
Harvey Weinstein et al,
are Jewish, as are their
industries. It's OK to bag
them now for what they
(operating under the
prevailing national
zeitgeist of the time)
have done  -  that same
zeitgeist has turned  -
but, at the same time,
if you make one verbal
move in that other
direction, you're
immediately called out
as anti-Semitic. No
matter what, as my
friend Alex used to
say, 'Call a spade a
spade, except in
Harlem.' Fun stuff,
huh. Speaking of
odd phrases, there
was this teacher in
one of the schools
I went to who, when
he meant to get serious,
always said, 'OK now,
let's talk turkey.'
-
When you're a kid, all
these things come across
as mysterious  -  like
when the adults move
off into another room
to talk about sex or
trade dirty jokes. It's
lingo and an insider's
language and know-how
that you're not yet privy
to. 'Forget the birds and
the bees, Dad, (I can get
that stuff on my phone);
why don't you tell me
what's really going on.'
-
It' a far cry from fairness
to have to grow up this 
way; even today, WITH 
the products of our local
education systems shaming
us at each step of the way
('by their fruits ye shall
know them') you have to 
ask why we're wasting 
so much and getting back
so little. Just look. Any
adult (and we supposedly 
have plenty of them on the
payroll) who only think in
physical and materialistic
ways is already dead; why
then should such an 'adult'
be given oversight and rule
over our children? I ask.
I also ask why here is
absolutely NO quality
in anything of greater 
Woodbridge? Is the 
answer not perhaps in 
the twelve years plus of 
having idiots and drunks
at the helm? In 1959 or
whatever it was exactly,
when Mr. Cigatura retired
from being the custodian
and general grandfather
at Schools 4&5, the kids
were able to present him,
(really, it was touching)
a near-year's collection
of pennies that they'd 
amassed for him. There
used to be an incinerator, 
of brick, at the rear of
the school, near the old
cut-through path from 
Inman Avenue, and 
 everyone assembled 
out there, for the day's
presentation. He must
have received ten thousand
pennies. It was amazing :
now kids can't even step
outside, the gravel and the
incinerator are long gone,
the school has a cop car
posted there daily, and the
lids are locked in. At the
end of the day's session,
cars, and others, and out 
of work fathers, pick up 
their kids as if the outside
air was toxic and lethal
and dangerous  -  and
God forbid a kid should
be outside, to walk home
and see something of the
real world. That's what
today's patty-cake world
gives us  -  and we're
supposed to applaud it.
The little-boy adults who 
act as council-people go 
about 'serving' their
constituents : Eight-year
olds; because these are 
the only ones who any 
longer who will believe 
(or is that 'fall for?') their
rank drivel as they continue
to set about destroying
the place they live.
-
I forget when I stopped
believing in Santa Claus,
but I know it wasn't 
yesterday. Yet, if I met old 
Santa tomorrow, and
was asked what I wanted
for Christmas, I'd have a 
ready answer: 'I want to be 
able to give these people a 
slap-down,  and a damned 
good one at that.'














No comments: