Saturday, November 3, 2018

11,290. RUDIMENTS, pt. 491

RUDIMENTS, pt. 491
(subterraneans)
As I studied literature
over my years of reading,
learning, and writing, I
often wondered if there
had been a competition
between Oscar Wilde, and
Thornton Wilder. Ha. See,
that was my joke-play with
words, which is something
I just finally ended up
doing constantly. You
get it, right? 'Wilde' and
'Wilder.' Oh well. Then I
decided I was going to
take myself, alone, and
just ride out to America's
Dairyland to just think.
Or, as I called it, to
Wisconcentrate.
-
One of the most weird
things to me, in I guess
it was Aug., 1967, was
walking up to 509 east
11th street and sauntering
in to the dingy, ground-floor
entry room, to ask for the
guy on the premises who
rents ('Superintendent,'
you idiot). I didn't even
know that much. Heck,
I'd never even been in
a place like this before :
All of it was from a
hundred years ago;
ancient, crazy lobby
tile  -  not really a lobby,
more just a spot near
a door and a room,
all adjacent to a half
wall of mailbox things
-  little metal doors with
a scrawled name papered
in. Silver-looking metal,
serrated, with lines, and
each one had a gold-colored
key-lock. It's standard stuff
now, I know, all over the
city. Yet, those remnants
of the old tenements and
apartments, as they slowly
pass from view, get
'modernized' or leveled
and rebuilt, and we lose
all that. I went into that
little room, asking for the
rental, not really knowing
what to expect. The guy
was just a regular guy.
He could have been a
brick-layer for all I knew.
Not a business type at all,
just one of the guys. He
said 'Sure, sure, 60 bucks
a month, payable the first.
It's upstairs, second-landing,
rear, let's go, I'll show you.'
That was it; he throws a
notebook down, says, 'you
can sign here when we get
back.' I entered a room the
sort of which I'd never seen
before. It was 2 rooms, and
a bathroom, alcove. The
walls on the outside faces
were the brick of the outside.
That was tastefully quaint,
yes, interior brick  -  yet so
odd too as to belie my own
confusion at what I was
seeing. The sink was the
only thing that showed me
that there was a kitchen,
of a sort anyway  -  in no
way a 'kitchen' of the type
advertised today. Whatever
stove there was, we never
used. Nor was there any
dedicated floor space to be
called 'kitchen.' I guess, in
1900, you ate where you
lived. There was just one,
general open space area,
plus the little off-room
by the 'bathroom.' That
kitchen sink, with a large
piece of plywood or plank
over most of it, was also
the bathtub. I just looked
right past all that stuff, not
knowing what was up, and
took the place; I figured I'd
worry about anything else
at some other time.
-
I paid him my 60 bucks, plus
another 60 for some future
'security' month that never
materialized (I was always
insecure), and left with 2
keys. Nasty, bare, lower
east side rooms, barren as
the Serengeti, with a noise
quotient of Spanish-tongued
kids already quite high and
the heat dangling in the air 
like torture. Next door, I soon
saw, was a Biker den of
some strange characteristics.
I suddenly realized I knew
the place  -  it was the famed,
old Beatnik 1950's harem
and hangout called 'Paradise
Alley.' It had an arched and
bricked entryway, a courtyard,
and a history worth believing
in. How had I missed that on
the way in, I wondered. Jack
Kerouac had written an entire
book that took place there,
called 'The Subterraneans.'
The funny thing was, his
Random House or whoever
editing people sent him
back to re-write before they'd
publish it. The legal department
was too skittish over the names
and places, and they had him
re-place everything into a
San Francisco setting, with
names and places sort of
cleverly disguised. In any
case, Paradise Alley it was.
I had a sort of a view out over
the courtyard and, though I
never stared, I did see a lot
of things going on. Mostly
the romantic stuff  -  no
executions or drug deaths.
It was currently, by 1967
anyway, the new headquarters
for what would become the
NY Hell's Angels, later of
3rd street. All fun, 
all the time.
-
There were motorcycles
haphazardly parked 
everywhere, along the 
curb and in the opening
of the courtyard. Usually
there'd be someone around
watching the bikes, guarding
the domain. Years later, 
I too was a 'Biker' of those
means; at the Iron Knights
in Brooklyn there'd be
parties and confabs and, 
in much the same way,
except with a more 
trenchant approach to
keeping order, there'd be
an entire block cordoned 
off, with the Iron Knights
clubhouse in the middle
of that block. Across the
way was a weedy lot used
by some car-repair shop, 
and, looking up, you'd see
the tenement apartments
above, most often with
people in the open windows
gazing down. Security there,
all around the perimeter, and
the bandstand, was a few
strongmen thug-type bikers
with cut-off baseball bats,
made into clubs, often with
chain or something drilled
into the top, to also swing 
as useful weaponry. Any 
poor ghetto locals never had
a chance, and, fortunately,
(although I did see one or
two instances) they kept 
away and no beatings or 
apprehensions ensued. It
was probably easier living
next to the Berlin Wall.
-
All that got pretty wild,
Oscar...In both places, the
Brooklyn site as well as
Paradise Alley, anything
at any time was apt to break 
out. Mostly, law was absent.
All the 11th street Spanish
people were used to it all;
their culture and way of
living was all outside stuff
anyway, and they knew 
enough to keep wary and
away from white-guy games.
Motorcycles may entice,
but they also valued life.
-
Looking out the rear 
window of that apartment, 
all you saw really was 
another building. They
had, because the old
tenements were built 
right into one another, 
often 2-deep in small, 
cramped yards (just like, 
for the kitchen, look at 
any old photo of 1900
tenement housing and
you'll see what I mean),
there what amounted to
 'air-shafts' out a window
or two. For the most feeble
ventilation. But, at the 
same time, by habit, in 
those years it had become
customary to just heave
garbage down. So, on 
the ground, foul and
treacherous, you'd be apt
to find anything, and I
mean that word : old
clothing, food trash, 
garbage, broken things
of any description, dead
cats, tricycles, and what
else the tide washed in. 
It was pretty horrid, but
not as horrid as the idea
that, 60 plus years previous,
these had been introduced
as health measures and
positive factors. Yeah, OK.
In addition, here and there
in these tenement backyards,
the second-buildings had
crumbled, or were abandoned,
or squatted in, or used as
drug-dens, bathrooms or
morgues. Take your pick,
and in the lower east side
health measures, codes
and regulations just
didn't exist.
-
What was 509's claim to 
fame? I'll get into all that
very soon. Suffice it to
say, my onetime street
of infamy is nearly
unrecognizable now.









No comments: