Tuesday, November 20, 2018

11,330. RUDIMENTS, pt. 508

RUDIMENTS, pt. 508
(the prom dress on the battlefield)
As a young kind, a lot of
the phrases and things you
hear or pick up, in school,
stay with you. In my case,
and in this instance, the one
that stuck  -  one of them  - 
was 'The Redcoats are
coming.' Any reference,
actually, to the British
soldiers fighting the American
revolutionists in that almost
unimaginable, to me, war on
the soil here around me, was
incredible. Yet, what always
stood out, and was even
more notable, was, to my way
of questioning  -  what were
they thinking  -  why they'd
have selected an ostentatious
'RED' military garb for the
sort of war or 'defense' against
an insurrection or local fight
on physical territory that was
not theirs, and for which
they were only here to fight.
Think about it for a minute.
Perhaps it was but a notch
beneath wearing a large sign
which read 'Here I am, shoot
me now!' By contrast to today's
warfare, when camouflage
patterns and fabrics are a
studied science, this was like
wearing a prom-dress to the
battlefield  -  let alone the
dumb British propensity
for marching in lockstep
and formation, shooting
in rows (getting gunned
down in rows too), as if
they had no awareness at
all of the terrain or sort of
renegade-fighting and
sidelines shooting they'd
be facing. (Hmmm, sounds
a lot like Vietnam too, with
the Cong everywhere. The
only compensation we had
for that was over-weening
air-power, which made up
the difference, though the
American forces still mostly
got skunked by guerrillas).
-
I've visited West Point a
few times  -  I always now
think twice over it, because
of how I look, and the white
van I'm usually driving. The
guy at the gate-house makes
me stop, and he rifles through
everything and checks my
paperwork, with that Sgt.
McManus scowl that I hate.
(Hey, Buddy, my taxes help
pay for this place, AND for
you too, so pipe down).
The cool thing about West
Point and all that militarism
and formation and marching
is that the reality of the blood
and death is never brought to
the forefront. It's kind of
unspoken. There's a memorial
section out at the very rear,
overlooking the point that
views out over the Hudson,
where the chains were put
across the river to help stop
British frigates from
navigating (the effort mostly
failed, but the 'Seven Chains'
across the Hudson thing is
cool and adds History to 
the view). Anyway, there
are a few graves and 
memorials back there, 
but there's also a 
collection of cannons 
and gun emplacements
and the plaque and 
markers state the (don't 
quote me, I'm working 
from memory) tradition 
of West Pointers taking a
cannon or gun emplacement
from every city they take,
which I suppose means
'conquer.' It's all very 
weird, because the mind 
knows what subtext is 
in that statement : the 
blood and fire, death 
and ruination (can't be 
helped, war is war, and 
all that, I know).
-
I can only speak for myself;
I was never military material;
nor do I share any of that
ethos, to this day. At West 
Point, on a good, weather-wise
day, you can see the cadets 
or plebes or whatever they're 
called, in all their fieldwork 
-   constant, rigorous and 
probably lethal too. All
running through a field of
tires, with the little, jumpy
paces of feet being irregularly
spaced to meet the tires. Girls
and guys, doing sit-ups galore,
fast-runs, slow-runs, assisting
each other. It is, believe me,
very glorious and invigorating  -
in addition to the remainder 
of the curriculum  -  like any
college, halls and arena-seating,
libraries and classrooms and
lecture halls, etc. Unlike, say,
Princeton, where one can easily
sit in on a lecture of 14th century
lyric poetry, at West Point the
study is different. Class headings
are different too  -  War, Military
Tactical History, Great Generals
and their Battlefields, and general
histories of battlefields as well.
Very pointed. Very concentrated.
-
One time, I was walking around,
with my dog on a leash, and I
was more or less daydreaming,
letting my mind stray, looking
at all these things and thinking
about them, and I looked up
to see three or four wonderful,
old-style, well-kept homes, one
of which held the yard and walkway
we'd wandered into. In about a
minute, two MP's came barreling
up. Uh-oh. We'd strayed into
the Commanders' housing area.
We were told (nicely) to leave
and that it was off-limits. So
we walked away, across the
wide, happy lawn.
-
As obvious as if I'd worn a
red jacket to the Summitry Ball,
I must have strode onto that
accidental lawn like a rube.
That's all part of the pomp and
pageantry aspect of the military
format  -  at most base, that's
what bugs me about it. There's a
certain level of reptilian thinking
working through all that. The
oldest part of the human brain,  
the reptilian core, is the deep and
underlying section which controls
the most primitive of our emotional
responses  -  counting, sequence,
rank, title, and pretty much all
of the logical and strict levels of
process and procedure. It really, to
advanced humanity, ought to be the
first to go  -  and the only way it
'goes' (since you cannot 'remove'
it) is to become aware and
conscious of it in its constant 
attempts to rule the thought 
process. In practical terms, it
would be the first effectors of
something like line/file
marching red coats. Get it 
yet? It's not 'smooth,' not cool;
remains rigid and formulaic.
It wears a prom dress, yes, on
the field of battle, and yet expects
to win (because it can only have
the concept of win or lose. With
nothing in between). It's politics.
It's warfare. It's all or nothing.
At all.








No comments: