Thursday, November 15, 2018

11,319. RUDIMENTS, pt. 504

RUDIMENTS, pt. 504
('dem was some pretty good woods')
Long about 1959 or '60, I
rightly forget, the woods
at the end of Inman Avenue
came down. When you're a
kid no one tells you these
things; they just one day
happen. What later became
Doreen Drive and Mark
Place took a lot away from
us. There were still, and
still are (kiss of death)
woods of a meager sort
on the railroad side of the
street, but this had been
the better side by far.
Until the very end, there
was a pond in there, ice
skating in Winter, trails
hide-outs, fallen trees and
shelters  -  and in all it was
a thick and dense woods,
enough to provide for all
of us a cover and a safe
hide-away. It was gone in
a flash, but a flash, as well,
that seemed to last forever.
I'd guess it was my first, new,
sense of sadness about the
natural world. None of us,
however, had room to talk,
for it had only been a scant
6 years since the very same
thing occurred, and on a
larger scale, for the tracts
of housing we all lived in. I
wondered who had mourned for
that. What we were presented
with, in due time, were some 30 
homes, (just guessing) and 2 
new streets, apparently named
after the dumb developer's kids.
Watching that scene develop was
interesting. In addition, I had 
never seen a house from the
inside out, as these were. It
was interesting by itself just
to be able to see the guts and
the workings of how a house
was put together  - even if we
often undid a lot of it. There was
a certain form of 'imagining
against reality' as I'd think
about the families, kids, and
parents who'd be in these 
places, and how they'd live
and furnish them, as homes.
It could have been argued
all day how this went on
or how it all occurred, but
as kids I guess it was the
last thing on our minds.
-
We'd lost a nice pond,
some logs and things to
sit on, around it, for ice
skating and just hanging
around. Constant young
kids' stuff, bike trails,
little walkways, large
trees, and even our
opossums, which used
to hang on one or two
oak trees near the
roadside. It all went
away but I don't
remember anyone
really 'dwelling' on it.
Things pass, and that's
that. What didn't pass
were the new dwellings!
Those houses, Lord be
praised, and the entire
construction site, became
a new-found paradise as
well. (And they cost me
10 stitches above my
knee). I don't know
how any of those houses
still stand, some of the
abuse we gave them.
Which is how I got
the 10 stitches in my
knee -  prodigiously
destroying the floor
surface of a weekend-
idle house underway,
when the poor, little
floor gave way, sending
me into the basement
where the edge of my
knee area contacted the
edge of the in-place oil
tank (rather raw and rough,
and tore up a mound of
flesh  -  which didn't
bleed! That in itself was
odd to us; so we (my
friend and I, Bill Zellner),
biked back to his house,
where his father took one
look at this mortal leg
wound and put us in
the car to the emergency
room in Amboy. (It had
only been some 3 years
since I was last there  -
train wreck stuff  -  and
I wasn't all that happy
about returning, figuring
55 stitches later and a
wheel chair and a brace,
and a walker later, would
be enough  -  by God's
determination  -  to teach
me a lesson. Never did
occur like that. Nope). We
besmirched those houses,
from glass and doors to
countertops and sinks.
(I sound like a fixtures
salesman at some Home
Depot). Better than all
that  -  they'd erected a
massive mound of dirt
right at the center of this
construction project, which
then became our perfect
bicycle trajectory for
racing along the long
expanse leading to it,
riding it swiftly to the
top, and bicycle-leaping,
for a few seconds, if
done right, into thin air,
having left the ground.
I figured all of this was
kids'-interest stuff only; 
until one day my Aunt Mae
came for a visit and, noticing
our pay and frolic, actually
showed a real interest in the
new homes and construction
project! So we walked her
down the street with us and
she looked around, genuinely
interested in the street  cuttings
and new homes  going up. It 
was pretty cool to see an adult 
who really cared about 
her surroundings.
-
All this, and our play, was  
about something, but I never 
did get to the bottom of it. 
We had fun. Maybe that 
was it. I used to read
Hardy Boys mysteries, 
simple stuff, almost 
easy-readers  -  they
were but boy-scout
level little tales -  never
anything malicious, dark,
brooding or negative. I
guess it was all about
uplift. Boys' dark-sides
were never promoted, 
nor even advanced as 
a subject. Now, all that
uplift stuff has been
transferred over to 
girls' under-clothing, 
so whatever. Shows you
the difference, I guess. 
We had Flash Gordon 
and such, maybe. Harry
Potter was from another
realm and had to wait.
None of those characters
lurked in our woods anyway.
Nor did any adult ever share
our fantasies and adventures.
Wondering if it ever dawned
on them that we might be up
to something, I'd think about
truthfulness and what would
be said to the inevitable, 
'What did you boys do today?'
question. 'Well Mom and Dad, 
we broke 14 panes of glass, 
tore 3 doors off their hinges,
dragged a ladder we found
over to a rooftop and tore 
up a bunch of shingles. It
was fun. And, oh yeah,
we road-raced up and
down those new hills.'
-
Maybe they all had it coming;
there had to be some payback
for what was happening to us.






No comments: