Thursday, November 8, 2018

11,303. RUDIMENTS, pt. 496

RUDIMENTS, pt. 496
(hijacked)
In the same way towns,
which begin celebrating
their pasts and supposed
histories the more they go
about destroying it for a
nasty present, so too do
people meld their thoughts
into only the accepted and
modern day premises. That
just ends up making everyone
the same, and all the bland
and uninviting presumptions
take over. Look around you
sometime and see.
-
It's all sort of just the way
things go. I first noticed this
at that place in Montclair, the
old, huge rail terminal that you
pass on the way to it. Right
through the 1970's and into
the mid '80's, it was derelict
and in ruins. There was still
rail traffic, yes, on the people
part of the platforms, but the
old usage of the huge freight
areas and sidings and yards
was all left to rot and decay.
No one said a word about it,
no awareness, no signs. Now,
in its new use as, basically a
parking area for a rudderless
scrim of crap stores and all
the usual stupid storefronts.
no one cares, they just walk
along as if it was always there
in that manner. The few markers
and names only NOW make any
reference to history, use, and
value. It's crazy. Anyone (and
there are tens of thousands)
who may have landed there
to live and be subsidized to
live, by us of course, in the
marginal compound housing
units onerously dropped into
the 'community' by government
fiat, would know nothing of
this past; and would dishonor
and debase it anyway. Ignorance
rules with an iron glove. I
would have loved to ask
Fishbeine what was up with
all that  -  and it's not even
that he would have all the
answers or even know of it
himself. I'd just like to rub
his face in it. One thing about
him. however, he could take it.
-
I never knew which was which:
Life as a dialogue, or life as
a soliloquy. I tried starting
mine out as a dialogue, but
exasperation and the
self-examination of being
soon brought me to the nicer
quietness of soliloquy.
('If you can fill the
unforgiving minute with
sixty seconds' worth of
distance run, yours is the
Earth and everything in it,
and  -  which is more  - 
you'll be a man my son').
So, in talking things like
that to myself, I'd toss
around a hundred versions
of same, and think I have
it down, and then I'd
come across one of those
old Bowery bum types,
or the Washington Street
barrel-fire guys. Man,
that would hurt : they
were all sons once,
and huge, abject failures
were they? No human
dignity left? No sense of
anything but loss? How
does that add up to
anything about being
a 'Man?' What's any
of that glib talk about 
anyway? The only 
measure of a life, I 
figure, is how you own 
up to the idea that it's 
got no measure; no value 
anyway, past self-sustenance. 
I remember one time, in 
Iselin Jr, High School, a
friend of mine somehow
was up in front of the 7th
Grade class going on, giving
a report or a recitation or
something, on 'Love.' What
the heck any of that was
about, and why him, is a
thing I never knew  -  he was
the last person to talk, at age 
11 or 12, about any of that,
but pontificating was already
his strong suit and this was
his moment  -  except he 
crashed. There was no way
in Hell a room of like-minded,
testosterone-filled boys was
going to let him get away with
that one. Half these guys were
already doing their friends'
sisters anyway, so there was 
no half measures to be had. 
Sex-Ed never made any sense, 
neither to sex, nor to Ed. Like
rocket-science in 1960, the
only thing it had going for it
was a sizzling rear, a pointed,
blazing front bursting through
space, a blow-out and then a
crash-landing. Yet, adults
insisted on trying, just like
towns insist on trying, as 
around them all things fall.
It just added up, all, to the
same non-sequitor. Life, as
a non-sequitor. You take
what they give, you nod,
and you move on. 'Adam
and Eve were the first man
and woman', right? Nod, yep.
'They had two sons, Cain
and Abel. And Cain killed
Abel and got married.' Yep.
BUT - Who'd he marry, Eve?
-
Like any one of those gypsy
joints along the street, with 
the crystal ball light on and
the come-on-in sign beckoning,
it was all future fortunes of the
forlorn; probably, and mostly,
made up along the way. I never
stopped into one of those places,
because I knew it would burn
down immediately if I entered.
I was already able to read my
own palm, and I deftly saw
where the death-line crossed
my wisdom line. They had me
hands-down! I wanted to make 
the bourgeois jump, all manner
of self. I wanted, pre-eminently
to institute the deflation of
sentiment  - which I felt to 
be the absolute worst quality
humans had. Sentiment kills.
I wanted only to read the
book of myself, after first,
of course, writing it. That
meant living, Charley on 
the horse, that meant living
and that was that. 
-
Now you see it, now you don't.
What's the difference between
Cheetos and Fritos? Look
around you sometime, and see.



No comments: