Friday, August 31, 2012

3871. FIRMER HANDS


FIRMER HANDS
Along the dim sunlit path, the hedge line
simmered. A few birds, startled, were ranting.
I paused for a moment, pretending to be a
camera just to see what I'd see. I winced
as the new sunlight caught my eyes.
Every roadside car was shining back.
-
Windows are like mirrors, are like reflections
intent on burning you back for what you see.
I never check my face, go for days without looking
at what I look like, brush my fingers through my
hair for neatness and never remember the reasons
I live. Simple, plain and honest. That's me boys!
-
Later, all hammerlock and folderol, I walked right past
the barber shop where Rachel is always looking out.
She says she'd love to trim my hair, someday 'make
it neater.' I nodded back and smiled. Someday, I'm, sure,
someday. Now, a year later, I can never look her way.

No comments: