Friday, August 31, 2012

3870. IT'S SOME TIME NOW

IT'S SOME TIME AFTER THE
UPHEAVAL, AND I'M STILL DEAD
'Is that a Chap-Stick in your pocket, or
are you glad to see me?' She actually asked
me that and then began laughing her head off.
I basked in discomfort. Do you know what that's like?
-
There was no meaning like meaning to not be surprised,
but what could I do? I took out my harmonica and pretended
to play. Yankee Doodle, Ol' Black Joe, Sewanee River, and
all that. Feeling as morose as Little Lord Leroy, I wept inside.
-
If I ever had good intentions, I had them now : I wanted
to hug anyone I could, kindle a cheater's fire in a stone-cold
heart, make the dominoes all topple at once. I sat me down
to read a book. It was senseless and as stupid as me.
-
My engine was flooded, my carburetor had swallowed its
float, the warning lights were flashing on my dash. I
only wanted to run away, and hide from the love
I always thought I'd had. Now, nothing at all.

No comments: