Wednesday, August 15, 2012

3841. MANY MILES

MANY MILES
(I am home in the USA)
I have traveled the quays and
the Zuider Zee, old Kabul and
all the murder-mystery ramps
Czechoslovakia once offered. No,
I am nothing, and without my keys.
From Lake Baikal to Chittendenny
have I wandered - rifleman, squire,
dandy, lout. Now I am an old man -
just as well; I survived, cornered in
a dying rage, holding a broken gun.
-
My mother is long dead, and my
father's a faded memory; something
creased, like an old print in my coat's
chest pocket. He went mad in '98, nothing
much else to say - all that's over. And now,
and now, I am a revolutionary. My country
is dead or dying, and I am in for the kill.
-
Yes, come try stopping me. I already
have the knife to your daughter's throat.
Men say that I am dangerous; I am not.
I am a leftover Minuteman from a revolution
gone sour - and truly, truly anyway - it
is they who are the dangerous ones.; those
who cal me that from spite and envy.
-
But, it is Death I am looking back from.
I smiled my last, and they gently
closed the box.

No comments: