Thursday, August 16, 2012

3843. ENKIDU

ENKIDU
The most furtive plea, the ancient of
days, somehow left me behind. My back
is arched now, on some treeside hard bench
in City Hall Park. I sit amidst soda cans and
visitors from Dubuque. I remember, it was,
Nathan Hale who was just here : hanging
from the Thom Paine tree. My God, the
ghosts are thick today  -  that blasted and
heavy white still lingering. The hand in my
notebook, even that no longer looks like
my own. What has gone on here, what?
-
I change identities like you do pants.
I walk through storms and happenstance.
My men are legion as we walk along.
They are building a city while I write a song.
-
An old God, an ancient God, a form of
iceberg and brick  -  breaking through walls
and all barriers of time. Force majeur, and the
invention of Thor's Hammer. All this is everywhere
the same: some pantheon of Gods we lift up and
exalt even as we wither and fall, running out of
time to do it all. No matter the dreams we may
hold or treasure. Life arranges for different things,
and we are so often left behind. Yes, it may be
that these men are building a city, even one with 
the names of God on their lips. But it too will
crumble and fall; their intent they shall miss.
-
I change identities like you do pants.
I walk through storms and happenstance.
My men are legion as we walk along.
They are building a city while I write this song.

No comments: