Tuesday, September 4, 2012

3872. SO MADAM

SO MADAM
Sometimes a great notion : heard that : doesn't
matter. There comes a time when you stop talking
about where you live : doesn't matter, just is. I saw
Judith today, said hello. She smiled back and we
talked. She's a wonderful soprano who lives in
Princeton; as done a lot of Milton Babbit's work.
She seems somehow a little nervous, but she's
calm as a lamb. Judith Bettina, ma'am.
-
I don't know why I talk this way : a braying shed
of sheep in my head. Wearing the Wurlitzer I have
no watches to hold; nothing ticks in my head, really,
 'cept my brain. But I want to be free; like a slave in
a cellar would be seeking release, that's me.
-
Willow tree, weep for me : heard that : doesn't
matter. Whenever it is that they invent a submarine
that can work on land, well then, call me, I'll listen.
I ran into a tall, dark fellow today, he was robbing
hives from out the farmer's trees. 'I seek a honey
that can't be matched; but don't tell the bee-keeper
that.' I wanted to tell him about hives not really
being in trees, 'cept for a bear, but I just let it go.
-
So, madam, I'm still willing to meet you, just as
we'd planned. Can we make this work?

No comments: