Monday, August 27, 2012

3864. HEARTBREAK

HEARTBREAK
(1871)
If I make a tolerance for the hazardous ship,
where the port of call does not yet exist,
am I lost then at sea, or just out for a while -
far oceans dividing the blemish of every intention?
Alas, I wait for you at this dismal quay  -  now here,
myself, I am only watching other rocking boats and
there is no real sign of you. I am sick to heart of
having come too late. Some time has passed, I
realize that, but so much has happened while
I was gone : the very boards of these wharves
and platforms have been changed twice over.
I have been gone too far and too long away.
-
If I make allowance for your needing to play,
if I think of myself so long and away, I
can understand  -  I should think  -  why
you are not here. That erstwhile chore boy,
Michael O'Shea, has stolen your heart
while I was away. Alas, I was gone,
on the sea, for one day too late, and
now it would seem I must pay.

No comments: