Monday, August 6, 2012

3819. 24th and SHEPPENARD

24th and SHEPPENARD
They told them to bring the table, bring forth the
magic cloth, and 'don't forget the most magisterial
thing of all' : the gold. Vast gold of kings, huge gold
of jewelers who weigh, fraught gold of the politics of
sweat and forced labor. Then came the next step:
they brought forth the head oracle, prized skull, dead
of old, which spoke. 'I may be dead or I may be Death
itself. Neither will be known; yet you hold me, in your
hand I am. Listen carefully to what you hear, and
moreso to that which you do not hear - that is the 
more important of the two. Time is a tide with no
subsistence, and it slowly slides towards you.
Beware then of all things, beware of Time.'
-
No one understood, nor spoke. I sat and watched;
I smoked (I do not smoke). I drank (I do not drink).
Everything was out of order : this weird dissemblance
of a place and moment, the many voices struck dumb,
all those men - tenured and important to themselves,
now knowing nothing; they all appeared as a chimera
would in a shadowy box of darkness and gloom.
-
Over at the counter, Marlena was standing. As I
looked over, I could only notice, once, that
she was disappearing  -  gone like vapor,
finished, and no more. It was 24th and
Sheppenard, that fabled street of old,
from which no man ever had returned.
 

No comments: