Monday, August 27, 2012

3861. OATMAN


OATMAN

(1871)

The Oatman survives : evening subsides
around him  -  the dark sky glowering the
city back. A fountain somewhere splashes,
and the man from the carriage ride rounds
the small bend, there by Nassau and Chambers
Street. He is singing to himself, supple reins in
his Irish hands, calling out  -  looking for others
needing a ride. 'Ev'nin' Sir, I'm here to you. They
call me Oatman, but the name's Barnaby. You
can call me neither if you'd like. And where you
headin' that may be takin' ye?' I look back, only
once, to see that other fellow, in black, wincing.
He knows where I'm headed, though this driver
doesn't. 'I'm to go north, towards Adams Grill,
by Herald Square, though you needn't be fast
and my business can wait.' I see him nod and
we're off. 'I was called Oatman 'caz I once ran a
a big lot of them, every year we did, but the farm's
now gone and they've taken all my water too. So
I've got to drive this rig here, like I'm a'doin' to you.'
He looked ahead; the borders of a few great hedgings
went past  -  great homes of the island's landed gents.
I spoke: 'These men, you know, they're all bastard
crooks, you see. I'm headed right now, in fact, to
do one out.' Beneath my cloak was my blackened
revolver; enough powder and bullet to do my work.
'I'm rather sure you won't believe me, but keep yer'
trap shut as much as you do talk.' In case he had
a notion to tell Carmody or Byrne, those cops I'd
fled, I gave him a five for his troubles. 'I'll now be
off, you thanks, let me out. I got my own work t'do.'
I don't think he knew a word, nor understood what
I was doing. I stepped down, and then into Adams.
Just as I thought and was told, there they were. The
two - I walked right in, and emptied my pistol into
the one, and then one for t'other as well, just to keep
him quiet. In the hubbub of screamin', I got away.
The wagon was long gone, and thankfully now he'd
have nothing to tell anyway. I headed my way, on
a dash and a frenzy, southeast towards Tompkins,
and never looking back I did get away.

No comments: