Monday, August 20, 2012

3848. HIT OR MISS


HIT OR MISS
Having brushed the daughter of the sky with my
hands, I looked back at the fire. No one else saw
a thing : the sky was ablaze. From where I sat, it
was all just shadows on the side of a big, white
building. A girl walked by eating candy  -  the candy
bar still in its peeled-back wrapper, she nibbled the
exposed portion with a hand to her mouth. How oddly
curious that whole scene was. Where was the
smoke? Where was the heat. I decided there
was something I much have missed. Wishing
I had a dog, I imagined walking it here.
-
I am always most curious about things most
abstract : unexplainable phenomena which
enter and ring the mind - the source of solace,
the aim of a disconsolate tear, the reason
some lone policeman would walk in fear.
-
There are no answers for things like this.
My sixth-grade memory book hides nothing
but the most obscure : John Glenn, Alan
Shepard, Gus Grissom. Crazy Amerikanski
astronauts chasing some dream-time Yuri
Gagarin to their own private Hell. Who cares,
and how far have I ever wandered. Everyone
else is dead, not one of those psychos yet
exist. Even Walter Cronkite bit the death pipe.
-
I realize I don't care, don't even give a shit.
Now sunlight hits the building-side instead :
bright, almost yellow, creeping shadow, lines
of a tree, light glinting off glass, blinding me,
two Mexican gardeners sitting around, quiet
leaf blowers finally dead in their hands.
-
This life, this life, this life, a life like this :
a crazy Mexican hat-dance
always hit or miss.

No comments: