Monday, July 30, 2012

3809. JUMBLE



JUMBLE
I suppose you came home for supper,
like I suppose you ever cared - the soup was
pea green and the coffee brown like mud. All
things made me so unhappy. Underneath the 
carpet, the runs of cracked wood were all
well-covered. I hid in the closet until you left.
-
Just as I never met my father, I'd never before
met my mother  -  both were strangers to me.
Used to being alone, disowned, I took no
bad feelings of whatever I was (not) given.
My life was a blunder, a slum. I really
should have died at seven.
-
Alas, I lingered  -  I grew too old, too soon;
I stayed at this fair until the tents and
carnival acts were all gone. The bare
ground, looking abandoned and worn,
was all I ever saw. My mind, too, was
but a sepia photo on a chipped and
barren mantle I seldom ever looked at.
Enough. I'm so tired, just let me go.


No comments: