Tuesday, July 3, 2012

3758. LAND OF THE MANHATTOES

LAND OF THE MANNHATTOES
And then time seems stopped when you cry like that;
I see you bent and saddened over the outdoor stoop.
Beyond your head, the gulls are swooping and some
evening's river traffic plugs along its way : a vast white
pleasure craft, some finance rich-man trolling down the
East River past Corlears Hook, wining and dining his
dinner on board. The sound, though soft, reminds me
yet of nothing so much as trouble. Yellow taxis streetside
bleating, a few buses across the park. Men who play
tennis with women, it seems, have little care. I sit
down to watch and breath some darkness; an evening
air blowing in from other parts  -  across shorelines and
old Indian paths. These are all the things I love.
-
My hands are strong enough yet to break a branch
and form a fire. We sit on haunches now, deep immersed
in an island wood  -  no one else about, no citified mass
of lumber and folk quite yet. Our journey, damned as
it already is, is just about beginning. The clock within
me says : 1624. Dutchmen, just now, are landing.

No comments: