Friday, July 6, 2012

3765. AND TO HELL WITH ALL THIS

AND TO HELL 
WITH ALL THIS
Not again  - the landscape in the drawer
and all that imagined geography on the wood
I saw  -  some snappy old desktop, a place
under glass. I swear I could make it out,
in the patterns and swirls of the wood, a 
place I could live forever. Valleys, lakes,
hills and mountains; a veritable woodland
mountain for me to take.
-
But, I dissemble. Now it is many years
later  -  there are cigarette burns in the
countertop, and grandad's old pipe-stand 
too is gone. No pens, and  -  egads again  -
no typewriter either. Aren't we the essence
of all that change? And, fuck anyway, it's
now too late for the living. I want to put a
gun in my mouth and pull.
-
I want to look at women until I'm dead.
Not that back-of-the-playing-card-Grandpa's-
top-desk-drawer kind, but rather those tender
riling buds I see all around me. I want to be
there, all amidst it all, before I die, before
I fall. It's not that it's a sin to lust, it's more
that I have lost all trust: in everything left,
-
in anything real, in moments that matter, in
noise that stops, in all that patter : I want you,
oh God, I do. I want to go on, at the very
same time I want to stop. And to Hell with
all this again, and over and over again
I want to - stop.



No comments: