Thursday, July 26, 2012

3803. INTIFADA?


INTIFADA?
This is the sickening heartbeat I remember : calloused and
weary, only beating now because it has to. I don't know why
this ever came to be : outside the orphanage, 4-stories of red
brick with reinforced glass windows and a Jewish star in the
masonry above the doorway, I remembered your name, and
how we'd met and now what's come to be. A quiet tear rolled
down my cheek as again I dared myself to look up. This was
nothing like an infraction, though they could call it what they
wished. I'd heard that word before : a breaking of the rules,
a crossing of a broken heart. Maybe not. I never did find out.
My mind was too dizzy and before long anyway it was over.
I lit a candle and cursed the light. Can you figure that? I lit
a candle and cursed the light just made.
-
If I was a million miles away, or a hundred, or on the very
surface of Mars, I'd still be thinking of you, and this moment.
There are no Jewish stars in space? Or is that what they
all are? Beyond borders, even the ones we can mend, there
are always others, always, others trying to get in.

No comments: