Thursday, July 26, 2012

3801. MEPHISTOPHELES DOOM

MEPHISTOPHELES 
DOOM
'Them's the wonder they that wander o'er
many a stinking rubbish hole' - two drunks
were sadly singing what I thought could
actually be a pretty happy song; wobbling
along, clasping shoulders and each holding
a green bottle, filled I was sure with their choice
of slog. I just hoped it wasn't their own piss.
The building fronts were broken  -  a meat-man,
a marketplace, a truck depot, a baker. Everything
was closed. The lights of the night-sky had taken
over  :  Chelsea Piers, the big gas -station, the
looming towers and that universal television glow
we all live with, even the best of us and ever the
worst  -  and even those who won't admit to it.
I surely knew carousers in my day, but here the
girls themselves did all the gawking back to those who
gawked - tendentious blouses, high-heeled shoes, and
yellow taxis that matched their dress and cloak. My
God, what a marvelous world this shit turned out to be.

No comments: