Monday, July 2, 2012

3753. NEWARK

DOOMINATION
DON TRILECKY
I watered the garden hose so it could water
the garden, those hundreds of flowers all
twisted and nameless to someone like me.
I see colors, and way too much bother.
It's way too hot to care anyway. The
sky is blistered like some lava-beach
cauldron, and it always will be.
Sitting at the airport, here on the
periphery of something or other, all
those foreign-name jets come rolling
down. I watch as they hang there, a
little roll, a little foil, and somehow
luckily always make it down. The
landings come in, the departures
roll out. A thousand strange people,
holding candies and wrappers,
and awaiting a film. The buzz
of the buzz is the buzz.
-
I'm talking to some guy from Newark :
a big, black fellow who says he was
born there, right in Weequahic, near
where the old streets were burning in
1967, and now where the 'Niggers'
(his word) are still living. I say nothing
much back, as if it's not my place,
I'm not his race, and I don't much
care anyway. Looking at him, my
main concern is never to get as fat.
-
Music is blasting from some internal
system  -  a sound so bad they call it
that on a dare. No one hears; they talk
and pose  -  those girls with the ultra
light hides, those two travelers from
Europe like walking in fire and wondering
why. It's a non-conditional world, with
everyone on their places and at their mark.
As if something was soon to happen but
nothing ever does. Another two arrivals,
disgorging frantic passengers, who scurry
off - all noise, and a fury, signifying nothing.
-
I'd rather pace the old still walls of some
ancient Newark prison  -  that historic place
on the other end of town. The Civil War era
lock-up, now beat and crumbling, wasted
itself like some old industrial site where
nothing's been made for ten hundred years.
It's like that here. It's like that everywhere.
-
They frenzy their travel to get out and escape.
I sit around waiting, at some useless gate.

No comments: