Tuesday, July 24, 2012

3798. NEW CAREERS FOR LETHARGIC PEOPLE

NEW CAREERS FOR
LETHARGIC PEOPLE
I ran into the fence-line running. At face-level, it gouged
my cheek and took out an eye. So, saucer-faced for the
remainder of my days, I lived a dog's life in this New
York City gutter : bumming for fleece and cigarettes,
stealing every wafer and water I could find, making deals
with both crooks and cops to stay alive. They called
me 'One-Eyed Alcatraz' and always seemed to find me
when needed. I couldn't hide, but I was so much out
in the open that no one knew exactly where I was.
Sweet deal. I took to horses, and groomed many a
mare in the side-street stables : where the workhorses
were kept  -  drayage and cart, food-wagon, water-tray,
firemen's-wagons and all that. I smoked ten billion cigarettes
in the run of this ample life, I bet. Nothing ever stopped me;
power, stimulation, energy, they all were my own. And
every woman I ever had never left without asking 'once
more, again, please.' Just the way I liked it. My birth
and anniversary days were held under docks and wharves
where I slept; kindness and the gentle paid me visits, I ate
whatever I was given or whatever I stole. And whenever. I
kept no hours for nothing at all. Until Death, until Death,
it affixed me, put me in place, stopped me dead, and here
I am alone to tell you - one more orphan, swirling. 'I would
not stop for Death, so Death kindly stopped for me.'

No comments: