Thursday, July 5, 2012

3761. PARADISE

PARADISE
(for Walt Whitman)
Housed in the great house I have placed wild animals of
every sort : the prancers with the vaulters, the vicious with
the tame. At every turn, something new. Come with your
parasols, all you winsome ladies, for you will be singing of
this for ages. My parkland beckons and brings you in.
-
I hugged the valley along the old canal, sweeping like
wind all my shards of happy love. The waning light
of day brought the texture of place to its mirrored
darkness over placid water-surface. Everything in
reverse, I saw the bright moon glimmering at the
bottom of the land. How strange.
-
Half-trees fallen and shaken, remained as
they fell; no matter to the growth, which in
itself found enough recovery to sprout
once more. Nature cannot be kept
down. It is hearty, and jumps from the
growth of our hearts. Oh human face,
in you I see all Mankind reflected.

2 comments:

Carlus Wilmot said...

I haven't read any Walt Whitman in years but I do know this is a wonderful tribute . Your a great writer my friend ..

gary j. introne said...

Thank you, Carlus. Oh would that it be so! As it is, I work at it, try hard, and keep scribbling, so to speak. With this particular piece I brought up Whitman with the thought generalized at the end - of all that broad, embracing 'Mankind Divine' idea. I'm so glad you found it. Thanks. gary