Monday, March 29, 2021

13,515. I STRING FOR FELLOWS

I STRING FOR FELLOWS
Hold the hand that held the hand
that held the hand of Mickey Rivers.
If that's some sort of big deal to you,
good; he played baseball for the
Yankees, but always looked like 
a cripple, with a sort of hobbled
walk and pigeon-like stance. But,
that man could dance  -  once he 
got rolling along the bases. 
-
A punch-hitter; singles were good
enough for doubles, stretching that
lead into a stolen base in 3-second
spurts. Kind of was a legend in his
little, own, time, that Rivers was.
I think he's dead now, but I forget.
-
Another time, I saw Ron Darling, as
a retired ex-Met, and broadcaster
too, at the White Horse. He was
sitting alone, and facing the TV 
screen up over the bar  -  it was
an October World Series day,
sometime about 2006. We said
hi, and then I got to wondering if
he was there for the betting and
spreads than the actual game 
itself.

No comments: