Thursday, March 25, 2021

13,507. THE OLD ALUMINUM SHED

THE OLD ALUMINUM SHED
The only note that ever came
to me said I was missing in
action and my remains were
being sent home. Yes, you're
right  -  it all made no sense, 
to me either. I put the rifle's
barrel in your mouth, but all
that happened when I pulled
the trigger was that your dog
then clamped my leg. No big
deal, and it only hurt a little.
We marched across the lawn
to say some prayers for Father
Baxter, who too had not returned
from where he'd been. I wondered
if he also had received a letter.
-
A few days passed, and it seemed
the march was still on : we pranced
across a greensward outside Beckly.
Nice small towns like that ought
never be invaded, let alone see any
trace of war or cinders : Garages
and swing-sets, in a sort of perfect
order. I tried imagining an equal
life, but nothing like that ever
came to be. I already knew my
endings before they'd even
happened. Now the only sound
we hear is the deadened thud of
rain on the old, aluminum shed.


No comments: