Sunday, March 14, 2021

13,488. THIS JUXTAPOSITION

THIS JUXTAPOSITION
We need to put the lights out
before I take you home; I wouldn't
even think of the trespass involved
without that. Let's watch this guy
get on the train  -  he seems so
small to be taking those steps.
-
At the New Brunswick station,
and Princeton Junction too, when
the fast trains, express, go speeding
by you can feel the air and all its
effects  -  the sucking in or the
blowing out. At Princeton, I can
remember, it even slapped the 
doors, that passing turbulence.
It all only took a few seconds,
that raging sound of speed.
-
Outside, one of those Springs
and Summers, there'd be black
guys, outside  -  with little tables
and some cards, they'd goad those
passing, or those awaiting a train,
to lay down a bet or two on the
cards. I never really saw anyone
win, but I never saw a real loser
either. Guffaws and groans, yes.
-
I never followed up any past that.
Anachronism, it always seemed
to me, in 2007. They should have
been eating watermelons, it was
that strangely racist; like seeing a
group of black Baptists praying
aloud...out on some churchyard
lawn. So much has changed now,
even from those recent times
not that very long ago.

No comments: