Wednesday, September 7, 2016

8616. FOR TEN THOUSAND THINGS I AM SORRY

FOR TEN THOUSAND 
THINGS I AM SORRY
Someone left their backpack on the trail.
How could that be? It makes me sad
that it's been left behind : if so, I'm sorry
for that person's loss. But more than
that it makes me worry what's going on?
It doesn't somehow seem right.
-
I get so sorry for ten thousand things;
now this is one. I'm sorry for the dead
owl I saw on this path. I'd never seen 
one before, and it broke my heart and
I thought they were larger too. I moved
it away and under some leaves in a
hand-dug trench I sorrowfully made.
I'm sorry for the sad guy in the 
candy-clutch cabin I stopped in for 
supplies and some coffee. He was 
playing his flute, like a bad Jethro Tull.
His eyes were wet, sad wet; not the
kind of happy wet like I saw on Robert
Plant at the Kennedy Center Honors,
with the Led Zeppelin guys. This was
different. I was sorry for his hurt.
-
I am sorry for Joyce Maynard and her loss.
I'm sorry for those miners who got trapped,
and who then thought they were saved, and
then who were dead again. That's all brutal
stuff, and I am sorry for ten thousand things.
Everything hurts, and makes it all worse.
Everything hurts, and makes it all worse.
I don't want to sleep because I don't want 
to wake and have to live again, and be
sorry for ten thousand things. Instead, 
I want to heal and help. I want 
to heal and help all things.

No comments: