Monday, July 4, 2016

8365. MERITICIOUS DENOUMENT

MERITICIOUS 
DENOUMENT
I'd been sidewinding the trailwind
truck for an hour, it seemed. And then
I remembered, 'where are the Trailways
buses of old?' Never thought, but haven't
seen. And then I remembered 'Greyhound'
bus lines too. And where are they? I miss
that nice logo they had. Running Dog
foul lines now.
-
I rented two rooms, for six months at
least  -  like a half-year deal, renewable.
It was nice, but I can't remember where
it was. Isn't that something? Amarillo?
El Paso? Both or neither? I had a friend
in El Paso, sweet little girl and now I
forget her name too. Her father was
British and her mother was Mexican.
Whatever the name was, I remember
it was weird with that mix. Like
RosaMaria Pritchard. Maybe.
-
Yeah, well, how far down do you
follow one of these things? Thinking
about stuff forever. It seems. One
Christmas Eve day, in a crummy pizza 
joint in Edison, New Jersey, I can
remember sitting there, the place was
deserted, I was eating some ancient
warmed pizza. And all of a sudden
like seven or eight mailmen come in.
Men and women, I should say  -  
postal workers. They'd somehow all
broken for lunch together, just stopped
their day's rounds and met here. Ordered
three pizzas  -  which I thought maybe
not enough, but maybe it was. I didn't stay.
When I was done, I wished them all a
Merry Christmas and walked away.

No comments: