Tuesday, February 28, 2012

3482. MY MISRULE

 MY MISRULE
I am made of sterner stuff or will be anyway :
going up-river, what they say is fair. The stateside
mountaintop clinic will call me back. I am not to
be writing any longer for communication; this
will be, instead, the unrivaled marvel of all words
and feats : magical incantations thrown straight
down for living to be read by those dying. There
are none exempt from this rule.
-
I will count your six yellow cups, your daughter's
better courage, the vestigial violence of each one of
your sons. They have parked their motorcycles in
the shed, but I have marked the doorways with some
paschal blood. And they will never leave again.
-
I am a mysterious monster, made up so as to play
to the crowd, squirming seat-sitters in an audience
before me  -  all of flesh and blood. No one is
exempt from this rule.
-
Everything is so powerfully unhinged; a misrule
of catastrophic proportions which pulls down even
the sun and the moon and breaks the arch of Nature's
back on tractioned rack of circumstance. Over and again
we do nothing but run from our shadows, which are chasing us.
Before us, the others, running on ahead, have already been
absorbed, right back in, by their own shadows which were
stretched out before them and which absorbed them back in.
It is all calamity in a devil's fool kingdom of disaster and strife.
-
Your daughters will be robbed of all their virginal matter
and I shall stuff them full with mine : the very legend of
the Earth and the Moon will carry them off, in a swoon - 
we will bring forth our giant children again, and they
too shall marry the earth; they too shall marry the earth.
-
I am a mysterious monster, made up so as to play
to the crowd, squirming seat-sitters in an audience
before me  -  all of flesh and blood. No one is
exempt from this rule, and they shall
never leave again.

No comments: